• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear oil?

JoeCook

NAXJA Forum User
First time in front rear changin seals. The question is i have a d30 with a spartan locker, do i just put in gear oil,if so how much should it take and what kind? Do i need to add any kind of additive also.
Any suggestions? Thanks

If I were you i would ask the manufacter first or at least the distrbitor of anything. Before coming to the web for info.
Not that there is good info on the web. But no one knows more about there stuff then the people that make it.

Additives are only for the clutch pack that comes in certain LSDs... which your locker is not. They modify the amount of heat build-up to account for the extra motion in the gears.

My auto guy told me that the additive used to be straight whale oil and smelled like crap. Now it's a synthetic.

Gear oil smells bad enough anyway. The advice above is right on.

just put 75w90 in there and be done with it. It takes about a bottle and a half. Don't bother with the stupid pump just get 2 of the squeezy bottles(valvoline i think?).

Back