• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another pile swap questions??

Corprin

NAXJA Forum User
I did try the search, but I fail! If this works out I will be doing a full write-up on the swap process for all to attempt on their own!

As a former chassis fabricator with above typical mechanical/fabrication abilities, I do know the physical aspects of an engine swap. I know it's not totally needed, it's just one of those "what the hell, why not" situations.

On with the show!

I am kicking around the idea of yanking out my perfectly good 4.0 from my '99 XJ, and stuffing in a perfectly used Isuzu Diesel. This swap may end up including the removal of the AW4 in exchange for a 4L60E. The mechanical aspects of the swap are easy (some adapter kits, and motor mounts) and the engine is damn near fully autonomous with regards to wiring/fuel/extras. The goal is roughly the same power output as seen with the 4.0, but with 30+ MPH and more torque than I know what to do with.

Knowing my '99 uses some sort of BUS for the three brains to communicate, what sort of issues will I run into if the ECU and PCM are not actually doing anything? I would like to keep my BCM for all the internal gizmos and flidily-mcgibbits. If I can keep the AW4, that would be great, but I doubt that would happen.

in my world (sorry if it's wrong)
ECU = engine control module
PCM = TCM = power-train/transmission control module
BCM = body control module

So I pose a few questions for you all...

Does the AX5 vehicle have a PCM?

Is the AW4 BCM compatable with the remainder of the AX5 wiring/ECU?

What information is sent between the ECU/PCM/BCM that would cause issues with the electronics?

If they exist, are there any known remedies for such issues, such as a resistor in place to "lie" to the ECU that a specific attribute is all hunky-dory?

Can the ECU (AX5 or AW4) be retained in an engine swap to run simple functions such as AC compressor duty, cooling fans, and the like?

... discuss

Back