• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

71 chevelle rear axle for triangulated 4 link?

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was under my dads chevelle a couple of days ago and noticed that his rear axle has 2 lowers and 2 upper control arms with no track bar, the uppers going from the inside the frame to the pumpkin and lowers going in line with the frame. I think it's a 8.5" 10 bolt. I really don't know the strengths of this axle but I am curious to know if it would work under an xj or MJ. Has anyone attempted this or are the mounts to wide or in wrong place etc?

A 10 bolt should be similar to a D44. Probably not worth the effort. Plus it'd have to come from one that was swapping to a bigger axle or wrecked beyond repair. Hacking up a good Chevelle would anger me greatly...;)

If you're going to try it, get the 12 bolt from the same car, much stronger rear end and all the mounts are the same.

The chevelle is in the process of being a 400+hp show car, we were just changing the bushings in the rear control arms. Im just curious on the possibility of putting it under a jeep and if its worth it...My dad is looking for a 12 bolt so the 10 bolt will be mine before to long :) and it even has a rear disc conversion on the 10 bolt already :)

Yeah, I would try it if you're gonna stay 35's or smaller. You can get alloy shafts for the ten bolt too for a little extra security.

if I recall correctly, the car 10 bolt is a 7.5" ring gear. not really a strong axle.

for the work it would take to use those mounts, why no build your own? im running the same setup on a 8.8.

Moneypit Its why I asked I didnt really have a clue but bottom line is I'm going to do a triangulated 4 link in the rear to eliminate the need for a track bar and I guess I was lookin to go cheap :)

The GM 10 bolt, any of them, 7.5, 8.2, or 8.5 are not known for their strength. I doubt there is any advantage to using that 10 bolt over a Chrysler 8.25. Yes, that 10 bolt in the Chevelle has the upper mounts cast into the center section, but it would still seem to be easier to weld a truss to the 8.25 and put the mounts where you really need them. Building a suspension around a passenger car axle doesn't seem to be the way to go. Sell the 10 bolt and get a D44 or an 8.8.

... I'm going to do a triangulated 4 link in the rear to eliminate the need for a track bar and I guess I was lookin to go cheap :)
All kidding aside, the least expensive part out of my entire 4 link rear was the axle side brackets. Some 1/4 and 5/16" flat plate plus a few hours of mocking/cutting and done. Trying to use something from an entirely different setup (not only car, but design intent) is just asking for headaches.

Sell the 10-bolt to some other GM muscle car enthusiast and get something that will work from the get go. Rear axles are cheap.

Last edited:
if you are capable of building a 4 link

im sure you are capable of putting nice link mounts on axle thats worth a shit (and cheaper to find)

Back