• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Misfire Woes

CMK4425

NAXJA Forum User
In my journey to get my misfire codes in my 2001 to go away I have really started to hate it. I never notice a problem with the way it runs or drives but when I check for any codes the 303 and 306 are always there. I have already eliminated coilrail, plugs and fuel supply. I am really wondering about heat causing my problems. Before I cut the hood to put on vents I was thinking about just removing the hood for a couple of days to see what she does. Sounds like a good way to rule out heat right?:tears: I would love to get an inspection sticker to make it legal but the misfire codes are killing me.

Do you EVER get the classic "heat soak" stumble when you restart a hot engine? Or does it always run flawlessly?

You could also try this. When you turn off the engine, lift the hood and shut it before you restart. See if that keeps the codes at bay. Not as complete of an experiment as removing the hood, but might be enough, as heat soak codes are usually triggered immediately upon restarting a HOT engine.

Good luck and let us know what you find. The 00-01 4.0 engine is very susceptible to heat soak, as you already know.

Also may want to experiment with the e-fan timer solution. Easy mod. The e-fan stays on for a determined amount of time when you turn the key off. Quickly reduces engine bay temperatures. It's my favorite solution.

I haven't ever noticed any major issues when I start it. It doesn't run silky smooth like my wifes honda but from what I hear I don't think it ever will. I was thinking about an e-fan timer also. What bothers me too is my CEL never comes on.

Ok I just figured out why the CEL has been coming on. I think the bulb is out. Shouldn't it light up with the key on?

Not following your logic. If the bulb is truly out, the CEL light can't ever illuminate.

But yes, the CEL should come on briefly as you turn your key all the way to the right/start position.

Whoops I meant "Ok I just figured out why the CEL hasn't been coming on." Mistype and I just noticed.

Not following your logic. If the bulb is truly out, the CEL light can't ever illuminate.

But yes, the CEL should come on briefly as you turn your key all the way to the right/start position.

Back