• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaky rear end

Headshot

NAXJA Forum User
so the other day while out playing in the river i snapped a bolt holding a strap n threw my rear drive line. no big deal, i towed it home, pulled the yoke off and used an easy out. new u-joint, straps n bolts and put the yoke back on...well i dont own a torque wrench so i just kinda winged it with a 1" drive impact gun...well now the thing leaks and im not sure if i over tightened it and crushed the crush sleeve, if so how do i get the damn thing out, or how do i get the seal that off that the yoke slips down in the middle of...or am i going in the complete wrong direction...

dear god 1in is a little overkill isnt it? didnt say what axle. but yoke has to come off again to replace pinion seal. next, there might be a slinger, then rear bearing, then shims or the crush sleeve. usually when i do these, i use a 1/2in gun to put the pinion nut on. if theres a crush sleeve, it will be noticably harder to continue tightening the nut when youve hit the c-sleeve. 1in gun will squash the sleeve without skipping a beat. i you did overtighten it, you need a new sleeve and really need to reset your bearing preload (take the carrier out). i use a small beam type in-lbs torque wrench.

For future reference the "right" way for an average backyard mechanic is to index the pinion and nut with a scribe or sharpie. Line up the marks when you put it back together. If you're off a whole revolution it will be obvious...if ts not obvious to you, you have no business in a rearend. ;)

Back