• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

IGNITION COIL TEST

B.RAIDER

NAXJA Forum User
Back in April 2010 I was having a start no start issue with my 88 Jeep Pioneer. 88, 4.0, auto, 4x4

The first test showed the CPS to be out of range...replaced it....fixed the problem.

Then the problem of the start no start issue came up again a month later...the CPS showed to be fine.

Replaced the ICM (not the coil) with another one from the jy.....fixed....been running fine up until a couple of weeks ago.

Well the problem has returned. NO SPARK FROM THE COIL (this is verified with a inline spark checker).
I have only been starting the rig to keep the battery up thru the winter every week.

All the procedures have been looked into concerning the grounds, fuel, CPS readings (208), good battery (cranks over real good) and I have 12 volts to the ICM. The coil has been replaced as of a couple of days ago with a new one....all three coils (2 + 1 NEW) show to be good with an ohm meter...in fact they all read almost the same.

Here's what I am asking.......

I took the ICM modules to AZ and then to Orelly's...AZ tells me they are good....Oreilly's tells me they are bad.
Since it does not start ....one might lean towards the Oreilly test results.

Without spending the coin on a new one (ICM)......what other option do I have as a way to get a "real" test done on the ICM?

Or am I missing something else that could be a problem?

Last edited:
Just an update................

Well I'm bumfuzzled now.

Tried to start it this morn....no go.

Took both ICM's back to the two places......knowing they would have a different crew working.

One checked good and one checked bad at both places.

Put the one that checked good back on the rig and it fired right up.
I'm almost certain it was not a connection problem...because I cleaned them and made sure they were good.

I hate electrical issues.

Back