• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to ID AW4 (specific year range)

TheAaron

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to get a 98 or newer AW4 and tcase to convert my 2wd XJ to 4x4.

I have attempted to do my research and have found this post very helpful on which years to look for but I am not sure how to tell if the trans is actually what the seller is purporting it to be.

Are there any obvious signs/numbers/etc that will help me make sure I purchase the correct part(s)?

Thanks in advance, love the forum it is a terrific resource.

Aaron

Glad you found that useful!

87-90 can be identified by the spline count on the output shaft. If it's 21, it is an 87-90.
91-96 can be identified by the number of pins in the electrical connector (rectangular, 8 pin connector, 7 pins have wires) and number of speed sensors. There will be one speed sensor on the driver side at the rear end of the transmission, on the 4wd adapter housing, and none up near the front.
97 can be identified the same as a 91-96 except they have a different connector (same number of wires though.)
98-01 can be identified because they have two speed sensors, one at the back and one at the front (input.) The one at the front is right near the shift arm for the shifter cable on the driver side, it has two wires. Just look at your 2wd transmission's input speed sensor and make sure the one the guy is selling looks the same.

Also (this is not as reliable as the other methods, nor as useful) 94-95 or so and earlier units have a metal and plastic handle on the dipstick while 96 and later have a plastic handle. Not all that useful in general but can be used to eliminate donors at a glance without crawling underneath.

Back