• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking to build tons......

Nick_n_ii

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I'm starting to do research for building tons to toss under my XJ.

Being in Michigan full width just isn't happening. I want around a 63" WMS to Wms..

Now I have no issue narrowing a front and think (not for sure yet) what years HP D60's to look at. More input on this would help and yes I have searched but seems that some is miss info.

But what would be the best rear axles to look at?

I know that the C&C 14 bolt is 63" Wms to Wms but what years?

What other axles fit this mark or at least close?

Just so you know a bit on my use and needs. Plan to run 37's for now, high line the XJ for a low CG. Trails, Dunes, little run, and be driveable as a DD.. And stay narrow enough to run the tight Michigan trails.

:thumbup:

C&C 14b's are ~63/64" wide. Any year should be fine, but youre more likely to find a newer style 14b (ribbed housing) already in factory C&C form. Or you could take a SRW 14b and put C&C hubs on it. For the width you want, this is the best/easiest option since you wont have to narrow it or do anything custom to it. Shave job highly recommanded too.

I started with a late 80's HP60 that I chopped like 4.625" off of the long side tube. This will give me a final width of ~64/65", its perfered to have a slightly wider front for help in the turning department. My stock long side shaft in my 60 was 36.68" and the new one will be 32.06" (its techincally a stock Spicer OEM shaft, part# 660182-26, but its impossible to find). Heres a link to my thread about building/narrowing my HP60:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1016682

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Someone recently posted up a link from another board where there is a company offering a kit to install D50 internals in a D44, you get D60 like strength with the ground clearance of a HP 44.

That's all in good, but than you still have D30 size shafts..

I'm going to a HP D60 from the word go..

I want to build this axle once not more times than that...

Someone recently posted up a link from another board where there is a company offering a kit to install D50 internals in a D44, you get D60 like strength with the ground clearance of a HP 44.

HP70 5.13's in the HP60 then :greensmok

Jantz Engineering over on pirate has the different Jana setups that are very bitchin.

Is the HP D60 from the late 80's worth having with the "pig" closer to the driver side?

OR

Is the 70's D 60 more what is wanted?

Mind you I plan to stay at around 4.5" of lift..

If you're planning to narrow, get an 80's one. A narrowed 78/79 would put the pinion in the oilpan. With mine narrowed, the pinion is in roughly the same spot as stock, just a couple extra inches on each side for width. Mines also about as narrow as you can go and still run coils. The edges of my coil buckets are on my inner C's.

Is the HP D60 from the late 80's worth having with the "pig" closer to the driver side?

OR

Is the 70's D 60 more what is wanted?

Mind you I plan to stay at around 4.5" of lift..

Either one works if you're staying full width.

People make the 70's out to be the holy grail of D60s because you have more tube to work with, but in reality there's still plenty of room on the driver's side of the 80s HP60 to make coils/link mounts work.

Welding to the cast/nodular/whatever the hell the center section is isn't that hard (pre-heat, weld, post-heat, done). I haven't finished my build yet so I can't test the welds but I'm pretty sure they'll all hold up just fine.

Here's my '88 HP60 (full-width). Coil mounts are ~0.5" out from stock on each side IIRC.

IMAG0374.jpg

IMAG0372.jpg

IMAG0364.jpg

IMAG0516.jpg

About where it sits under the jeep at FULL BUMP. I have an MJ with a 4.0/NP435/D20. This is just to give you an idea of where the diff sits.

IMAG0251.jpg

IMAG0252.jpg

IMAG0338.jpg

Thanks for those pictures..

That tells alot right there....

I put in a few calls to a few "Bone Yards" I know of and 2 have 88 to 90 King Pin Ford D60's. $250 and they pull it for me..

I have both on hold for me..... It's good to have friends where it counts...

Back