• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rockers - something a bit different in mind

tchase

NAXJA Forum User
So the time has come to tackle the issue of rocker protection on our '87 XJ Wagoneer. Looking at doing something a bit different than the usual 2x4 tubing for few reasons. Plan for this Jeep is for it to be the ultimate all-around Jeep, something that is just as at home on the trail as out on the town. Kinda what Jeep originally intended for this model I guess. Main useage of the Jeep will be summertime wheeler and wintertime daily driver.

Being that a high priority of this build will remain on-road stability for wintertime use, the lift will be quite small making good sturdy rockers a must for a rig that will also get well used off road. I've shied away from the traditional (and easier) rectangular tubing for a few reasons. Firstly big brother in our area has recently decided that off-roaders are the devil, if this thing rolls through a road check I don't want anything to give away that it is anything but a stock '87 XJ. Next thing relates to the winter driver portion of the equation, don't want something that's gonna collect huge chunks of salty slush under the doors just waiting to deposit a lovely salt stain on the back of your pantleg every time you get in or out. I also want to keep clearance to a max, weight to a minimum, and some hi-lift points would be nice too. Pretty tall order when you start thinking about it, what to do then?

My original plan focused on maintaining an original look and not gathering slush. I was simply going to cut off the original rockers and have the shape duplicated in thicker material, most likely 1/8" but perhaps thinner if I can get away with it. Then weld some cross braces in between that and the inner sill every so often (6"-8" maybe?). Probably also run a length of angle or something along the inside of the bottom corner of the sill for strength as well. I had pretty much decided to go with this plan until a caved in the bottom of the door on my MJ on the trail a while back, leading me to realize that this design would offer no protection to the doors. Now what? We need something that sticks out a bit to keep the trees and rocks off the door but doesn't atrract unwanted attention or debris.

So the proposal: Reciever Rock Rails. Recreate the sill as I had originally planned, but build in three reciever pockets to slide a removeable tubular rail into. This would not only provide protection for the doors but also a spot to use a hi-lift. I'd fab some covers for the holes when not in use so the appearance would remain almost stock.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Haven't finalized any plans yet but I've got an XJ here with the sills cut out that I'm gonna start mocking some stuff up on.

Edit: Figure everyone likes pics so here's one of the intended victim

BlackrockOct1110011resize.jpg

Bone stock, 300,000+Km, 4.0, BA-10/5, NP231.

Last edited:
So the proposal: Reciever Rock Rails. Recreate the sill as I had originally planned, but build in three reciever pockets to slide a removeable tubular rail into. This would not only provide protection for the doors but also a spot to use a hi-lift. I'd fab some covers for the holes when not in use so the appearance would remain almost stock.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Haven't finalized any plans yet but I've got an XJ here with the sills cut out that I'm gonna start mocking some stuff up on.

Wow, that is a novel idea, I like it....a lot. Sorry, no suggestions though just admiring the idea.

i dont like the receiver idea. sounds... marginal at best. if you want to maintain the OEM look and something that is worth its weight in salt (no pun intended) this is what you want to do:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1027617&highlight=rocker+replacement

a little more work but you will be happier with the outcome. also, 1/8 will not be enough. id suggest something bigger. do it once and do it right.

Back