• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clunk in the front

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
So I just did an axle swap and yesterday was a shake down run pretty much to see what needed replaced and what needed fixed. Found out I need bumpsops as I tore off both front bushwackers lol. O well. The day was great untell about halfway threw the trail I started getting a loud clunk from the front. Girlfriend said she could feel it in the floor. So I had her drive and me and a few other guys listened and watched and we really couldent see anything just hear it. Sounded like it was coming from the pass side. SO we stop it, girlfriend said she couldent feel it as much driving as she could riding. We all thought it was a bad u-joint in my shaft. If it was, would it make that loud clunking sound everytime it went around?

The shafts are out of a new XJ so the 297/760 axle shafts. Im not sure, but I believe the 297 u joints are in there. I can go to the 760's right?

Im going to try replacing both driver and pass u joints and see if thats it. DO you guys think it could be the same thing?

Back