• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Olive drab green truck.... Time for something new

burtonridr

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I bought a 1990 Jeep Cherokee about 8 months ago. It was cheaply painted with a rattle can flat Olive drab green. I dont think they primered or prepped the truck very well before painting.

I want to paint it something else, I think the olive drab color would look nice if they hadnt paint over all the trim, door handles, etc. You cant wash oil stains off of the paint, so I have splotches of oil in places. I'm considering using paint remover to take the paint off the trim and handles, then repainting with olive drab or tan, maybe hurculine the bottom half or something?

Anyone have any suggestions? Cool photos of similar paint jobs that turned out well?

Ok so as luck would have it I ran across the Project Olive Drab thread and there is a pic of a truck that looks identical to mine.

2432540455_2489ed308a.jpg

I dont really like it... I want to go to something like this.

bumperpainted001.jpg

Its not just the color, its the quality look of the finished project. Mine has oil spots, chips and rubs all over the place.

I guess I really need to know how to best prime the truck, with a crummy paint job, before I repaint?

I guess I really need to know how to best prime the truck, with a crummy paint job, before I repaint?

If you have a decent air compressor your best bet would be to get a DA sander and take the OD off it. And cracking paint or clearcoat you'll want to sand through also. Just primer where you hit metal and repaint it.

If you have that compressor you can get a cheap HVLP gun from Harbor Freight and have at it.

Back