• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front exhaust pipe (without relief)?

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone tell me if anyone makes a front exhaust pipe without that stupid crush relief in it?

Its a 89 xj 4.0

thanks all

The replacement one I got from Advance auto didn't have one. I would guess all of the aftermarket ones don't, but I have no idea.

I have tons of clearance with the lift and drop brackets . How big I.d. pipe can they use?

I'd have to measure the outlet next time I drop the pipe, as for a cat it was an option (well was at the time) to get a bolt in pipe with or without through napa. I have a 3" in out hi flow cat to install when I figure out what im doing with the front pipe. the cat to the muffler to the outlet will be custom and tucked higher than my chassis rails

stock downpipe is 2.5" to the cat. Since you have the clearance, best way is to find a good local exhaust shop with a mandrel bender. I would guess 100$ or less. I would have then weld a flex pipe into it before the cat.

I should have mentioned in my earlier post that if you have a 3" or bigger lift, clearance is not an issue. On stock height vehicles it is, and that's when the muffler shop needs to sweep the downpipe back earlier using two 45s. My muffler guy makes and installs them for $50. Of course I don't live in the rust belt either...........

Is that the ONLY reason for that relief? Has any one seen changes in idle or power after ditching the OE setup? I just wonder why Jeep didn't route it differently instead.

Is that the ONLY reason for that relief? Has any one seen changes in idle or power after ditching the OE setup? I just wonder why Jeep didn't route it differently instead.

its to clear the front driveshaft at full bump when your running stock ride height. It is worth it to get it changed out. I've done it on two other xj's and noticed an immediate difference. The entire exhaust system is a pain in the ass with these rigs... pain to get header off, pain to insulate intake from ex. header heat, headers always crack, need get down tube replaced due to pinch, exits next to shackle making servicing shackle/gas tank skids a pain unless you relocate. The entire system should be gone over replaced and upgraded imo...

I guess a lot of stock manu's headers crack though, just wish this one was easier. I currently have a stripped bolt/nut on my downpipe/header flange and for the life of me couldn't back out the nut last night... there's no way of getting anything up there to cut it so now i have to take out entire header just to back out one nut...effen hate xj's header set ups.
Took off my toyota tacoma header in 20 minutes to tig weld a crack...
PIC-0379.jpg

I wouldn't go bigger than 2.5 on that downpipe, and just curious why the 3" cat? The less restrictive the exhaust is the bigger the potential for higher horsepower, but that comes at the expense of torque. You need a certain amount of backpressure from the exhaust to build the torque that makes the 4.0 such a good low rpm torque monster.

I wouldn't go bigger than 2.5 on that downpipe, and just curious why the 3" cat? The less restrictive the exhaust is the bigger the potential for higher horsepower, but that comes at the expense of torque. You need a certain amount of backpressure from the exhaust to build the torque that makes the 4.0 such a good low rpm torque monster.

well said, don't hinder all that wonderful toque these motors came with. Torque wins races, hp sells cars.

Back