• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping, cracking binding noise in reverse when turning full lock

robhurlburt

NAXJA Forum User
'95 sport, 155k, 3.5in lift, 31x10.5s. This only happened after i installed the lift. sounds like a popping, binding noise when i revers and am at full lock to the driver side. tires aren't rubbing on anything that i can see, and it doesn't happen every time.

Any idea as to what can cause this?

thanks

checkt the u-joints on the axle. grab the yolk of the front driveshaft and twist it back and forth to see if there is any play in the joint behind the hub

i know you say its not rubbing on anything but mine does this a little on the control arms. are you using stock back spacing/stock or straight control arms?

i would imagine you'd get the noise going forward and back if it was your ujoints. but its still worth checking.

not sure what stock backspacing is, but i am running 4in. i check both control arms, and it was after a mudding trip, so i figured i would see some marks but nothing. stock control arms to.

its also intermittant.

With the same size lift and same size tires (I had procomps), I was rubbing the stock control arms at full lock in the same place - spacers fixed my problem and let me keep my full steering range.

Check and see that the track bar bracket is bolted tightly to the driver side frame rail. Same with steering box bolts. Put a wrench on them and see if they'll snug up any.

pulled and yanked on the drive shaft, no play besides the gear mesh

With the same size lift and same size tires (I had procomps), I was rubbing the stock control arms at full lock in the same place - spacers fixed my problem and let me keep my full steering range.

i'll double check, but found nothing last night

Check and see that the track bar bracket is bolted tightly to the driver side frame rail. Same with steering box bolts. Put a wrench on them and see if they'll snug up any.

i'll give them a yank

Yeah, for me in the exact same scenario it was U-joint play. Still gotta fix that one... I don't know if I'm afraid of or encouraged by the amount of play you can have in those without the damn thing breaking.

I had this exact same thing happening, but my tires would skip and bark too... Turns out I had an LSD :doh:

In my defense I figured that out only a couple of days after I bought my Jeep, and I was looking for something out of place or broken, not something simple like an LSD..

Moral of the story: Be thorough in your investigation of the problem and check everything.

what is it you need to do? replace the bearings?

Never done it before but from what I gather, you press the old U-joint out of the shaft & press the new one in. Requires removal of the shaft from the vehicle.
I'm waiting until I buy some spares, I'll rebuild them & throw them in then put new joints in the current junk.

ok, found it. it appears to be a little lip of heavy plastic/rubber from the flairs. it doesn't happen at full lock, actually 3/4, and only in reverse, and only when the spring is compressed and inch or two. weird

thanks for the help guys :cheers:

Back