• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

water pump suggestions

spencer elliott

NAXJA Forum User
ive had a coolant leak at my water pump for a while now and its time that i get it taken care of.

i have decided to tackle this myself, but i have never done it before. any input is appreciated.

im looking for suggestions on which pump to get w/out spending in the $100+ range... and any help on the install itself.

i have searched and found a lot, but im still looking for a little more help thanks!

A stock pump works well in most applications .

Loosen the bolts in the pulley/drive flange before loosening the belt.
Removal of the E-fan will give you more room to work.
Drain as much coolant out as you can,clean the mounting surface of all old gasket. Note the position of the bolts and their length and if they enter the water jacket(those need a type of sealer).
Its a good time to change the radiator hoses and T-stat too.
HTH

Belt tension: Old belt, 90 degree rule works for me. Find the longest length of belt and increase tension until belt can be rotated a little over 90 degrees. Hope that makes sense. If anyone else can explain it more clearly, please do :wierd:

I did my waterpump this summer.

I used a new (not remanufactured) Master-pro pump from Oreilly auto. The quality is good. I also replaced the thermostat, and hoses with parts from there.

Not sure what year you have, but on my 01, I removed both fans, and drained everything. The removal and install is pretty straight forward.

I got a NEW cardone pump for my 2.5L TJ for around $25 from rock auto, very high quality. I personally think the "high flow" pumps are a waste of money. If your running hot, get a 3 core rad.

Those HESCO pumps are pretty dang nice though.

Back