• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock rear leaf spring replacement......

97babyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been researching stock leaf spring replacements for a few weeks now.
I have found several listed by crown at Morris 4x4 as well as Quadratec.
I also have found several threads that give open spring arch as well as a pound rating but this does not help in knowing how the jeep sits with them, nor to their actual load capacity.

There is a set of oem replacements that lift the truck from 1-2 inches, and there are a bunch of writeups of people using these springs.
I however do not want to lift the truck at all.

I am curious if there are any xj-ers out there that have replaced their leafs to remain at stock height and what part number springs they actually used.

I don't have any specific part numbers, but I've heard a lot of folks use the H.D. spring without any additional lift--

I really just wanted to point out that I saw your location and post count and found it interesting that my first Mustang came from Metuchen and it had a 289cid engine.....

:sad1:

Do yourself a huge favor and start soaking the leafspring bolts with PB Blaster now even while you still look into what leafs to buy. If your jeep has been in this area awhile (like mine has) the leaf bolts could be seized in the bushing sleeves and turn the job into a real pain in the arse. (I resorted to oxyacetyl torching them off). You can drill a tiny hole on the body side to get penetrating oil directly onto that welded nut also. There's a thread about that with a pic but i couldn't find it..

I used the HD springs from Quadratec on my 98 sport which has the up contry suspension. They raised the rear end back to the factory height and has remained the same for over a year. Also I second the use of BP Blaster- more is better!!

thanks for the tips, thankfully im doing some floor replacements and had the added bonus of being able to soak the nuts inside the frame because of the flinstone style floor access lol so i was able to get all the bolts out no prob.

bayvillebob, so essentially the hd ones from quadratec match the upcountry lift?

I put the Q-tec HD leaves on my 92, it raised it about 2 inches from VERY saggy. It had a slight rake, but not to where I thought it looked out of proportion.
It towed the boat much nicer after that.

I put the Q-tec HD leaves on my 92, it raised it about 2 inches from VERY saggy. It had a slight rake, but not to where I thought it looked out of proportion.
It towed the boat much nicer after that.

I got exactly 2" of lift over stock height from the quadratec HD springs as well. I didn't get as much from the HD coil springs, maybe I ordered the wrong part numbers. I am going to get spacers to level it all out.

shorty, sounds pretty sweet, my brother actually has a '66 straight six.

Ok thanks guys,

anyone out there have any experience with non hd stock replacement springs?

I also need new leaf springs, I live in N.J. too and have a 1999, So I guess I will be needing allot of the pb blaster also.

Will the HD springs from Quadratec work with my 1999 sport, I just have the normal suspension.

Sorry to jump in on your thread, I been wondering what to buy also, I was going to post the same question.

Quadratec & Morris sell Crown's leaf packs and there are 5 different options for the rear of the XJ. They each have different load rating & height.

If you don't want any lift, I'd recommend the 4886185 or the 4886187. I can check to see if I still have info on the heights of those tomorrow...but iirc, those are the next heights down from the 4886186 (HD replacement everyone buys and that I currently run).

Back