• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

242 cant locate leak

CJ96xj

NAXJA Forum User
96 xj aw4 to 242 tcase. I have drips under my jeep which i noticed are the same color as the fluid i put in the tcase 3 weeks ago. There is leak on input or output, just dtips on the bottom. I cant find the actual leak. Last week we had 3 inches of rain, and some roads i went through were flooded out, could this crack it? what else should i look for? thanks

Look in the case housing just above the shift lever.. there should be a rubber plug. These have been known to fall out. It's the access hole to the shift fork rollpin.

its not listed there but that is where mine leaked from. look on the case next to the front output and up a little. see here:
tcase3.jpg

i noticed mine was gone when i did my rebuild. i always had a constant leak and ATF would pour out when i was on very steep down hill sections. i found a short bolt that was just the right size to slip in the hole and used RTV to seal it up. no leaks.

Here's the Jeep part number as posted by mofo awhile back... hope this helps.

If you did not find the source of the leak, check to see if there is a rubber plug in the side of the TC, about 2" ahead of where the shift rod enters the case. If you have an FSM, consult the 242 exploded view. It is item # 55. The part number has changed a few times over the years. The current production Jeep part number is 00015105 and the list price is $1.50.

why do you need new linkage?

all of the parts you need can be ordered from the site you linked earlier. thats where i got a lot of little misc parts for my 242 rebuild.

Back