• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: Sintered brake pads

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
Is there such a thing as sintered brake pads for XJ's? I'm wondering because the brakes on my 89 suck so much and I notice that on my motorcycle, there's a huge improvement when using sintered pads compared to organic pads. Any thoughts?

There is definitely room for improvement in the brake department as far as pads go. Some of the really good ones are not made for your vintage though.

I just put some Perfromance Friction Carbon Metallic pads on my Comanche and my wife's Cherokee. HUGE difference. I suspect the old pads, which had 70% or better life left, were cheapies and/or were glazed.

The key to this is having the rotors turned or replaced as needed when installing the pads, and then properly "bedding in" the new pads.

There is definitely room for improvement in the brake department as far as pads go. Some of the really good ones are not made for your vintage though.

I just put some Perfromance Friction Carbon Metallic pads on my Comanche and my wife's Cherokee. HUGE difference. I suspect the old pads, which had 70% or better life left, were cheapies and/or were glazed.

The key to this is having the rotors turned or replaced as needed when installing the pads, and then properly "bedding in" the new pads.

Hi Cruiser:

Thanks for your note. Where did you get those peformance pads?

Hmmmm...

Gotta ask--ABS? Rip it out.

Non-ABS? Replace the single diaphragm booster with the dual diaphragm booster of the 95-96 XJ or use one from a WJ.

The early ABS is JUNK.

The early single diaphragm booster is JUNK.

Pads by themselves won't gain you anything if you haven't replaced the ABS or non-ABS single diaphragm booster.

Back