• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dowel pins on a 93. Does it have them?

oldmopars

NAXJA Forum User
I am working on a friends 93. The short block was replaced a while back and then the Jeep was sold to my friend. He is getting oil in the water and figured it was a bad head. So he got a new head and all the gaskets, hoses, etc and brought it to me to do the work. I removed the old head and was surprised not to see any dowel pins to line the head up and keep the gasket from moving.
Is this normal? Or, did someone leave out the dowel pins from the new block and just bolt the old head on it?
If I need dowel pins I want to get them before putting the new head on so this problem does not come back again.
Also, could not putting sealant around the #11 bolt cause oil in the water?
And is it required to replace the head bolts? I know some engines you do and some you don't, is this one you do?
Thanks

Last edited:
93 has no head alignment dowels. You can make temporary dowels by cutting the heads off of two 1/2" bolts and cutting a slot for removal with screwdriver, then screw into deck where head bolts would go. You can reuse 4.0 head bolts.

93 has no head alignment dowels. You can make temporary dowels by cutting the heads off of two 1/2" bolts and cutting a slot for removal with screwdriver, then screw into deck where head bolts would go. You can reuse 4.0 head bolts.

You can use 4.0 bolts TWICE. Original factory assembly counts as ONCE.

If a professional has had the head off before they would mark the heads of the bolts with PAINT, or in some cases they will be STAMPED to mark them.

When in doubt, replace them.

Bolts 1-10 & 12-14 = 110 ft lbs.
Bolt 11 = 100 ft lbs.

YES, not putting sealant on bolt 11 will result in oil/coolant cross contamination. Loctite 592 PST sealant or its equivalent.

The OEM head gasket is installed DRY. Follow the directions supplied with the gasket you are going to use.

Tighten as follows:

(If you do not have the figure for the bolt sequence GET IT before you start)

ALL bolts 1-14 to 22 ft lbs.

ALL Bolts 1-14 to 45 ft lbs.

Bolts 1-10 to 110 ft lbs.

Bolt 11 to 100 ft lbs.

Bolts 12-14 to 110 ft lbs.

Confirm all bolts are to the proper torque BUT DON'T FORGET NUMBER 11 IS ONLY TO 100 FT LBS.

Good luck.

Back