• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering box question

AwesomeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So is it normal if I can turn my wheels by hand when my steering wheel is locked. I mean if I park strait, turn off my jeep and lock the steering wheel, then get out and grab one of my wheels and pull on it should it and the other one turn? Cause I don't think it should do that but I could be wrong, so I'm just checking. Does that mean I need a new box?:dunno:

I would expect a little play, but not much. There's going to be a little slack in the steering box off center, especially with the power off, and a little flexibility in the "rag joint" in the steering shaft. But I'd worry if it moves more than a few degrees. If you can get a view, or get another person to push the wheels, look at the pitman shaft of the steering gear, and see how much side play there is. That's a common area for slack to show up even on an otherwise tight and well adjusted box, and something you can't adjust out.

Back