• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix throttle body adjustment screw??

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
So along time ago I had Idle problems, and I remember adusting this little screw to correct:
screw.jpg

It was probably a screw that shouldnt have been touched and I'd like to return it to stock setting, anyone know what that may be or how to adjust it? or what it really does? thanks

89 xj, 4.0, auto trans

Idle is fine right now, guess I'll just leave it alone, just couldnt find any info on proper adjustment.

Theoretically, the RENIX idle isn't field-adjustable.

The air bleed could do it, but the idle is largely set by the ECU, metered by the opening between the IAC pintle and seat (the throttle blade is supposed to be just about fully closed at idle.)

You may have had a ragged idle due to accumulated crud, and opening up the air bleed would have helped that. However, the correct solution would have been to remove the IAC and clean the pintle, and clean the IAC seat in the throttle body. Considering that RENIX is plagued with that wretched EGR system (which craps everything up with carbon and is of specious utility on our engines anyhow,) I'd probably just dismount and thoroly clean the throttle body at that point. Everything can be easily removed and replaced save the TPS - but, if you're careful, it need not be removed anyhow.

I read somewhere that the proper way to adjust it is to hold your palm over the throat of the TB and adjust it until you get around 300 rpm idle. If you do take it out replace the "O" ring on it with a new one and lube it good before install.

Back