• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FYI Beware Aluminum Shims

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
I probably should have known better,... I live in the rust belt and my aluminum leaf spring shims have all but crumbled. I've got a steel set coming from Tom Woods hopefully arriving this coming week. Also noted that the spring screw that came with them is different than a normal spring screw. It had a shoulder on it I suppose to keep the weight off of the shim. Everything had totally decayed.

Sounds about right. The only time when I'm going to replace mine is when I swak in my waggy 44's. OHHH YAAAA

Had the same problem.. the shim broke then the axle was lose then I broke the leaf spring centering pin... so I bought new ones and broke 3 more centering pins.. got sick of it and upgraded to grade 8 bolts and I rounded the heads to fit more snug in the hole in the spring perch on the axle haven't broken a centering pin or shim since..

This one time at an offroad park...

I watched this guy spend the entire day try to line his axle back up after he busted the hell out of his aluminum shims. He had to drive 2 hours back home with the ass end sitting 2" lower than the rest.

1st: Lift parts shouldn't be made of something as soft as aluminum.

2nd: That dumb ass was using aluminum BLOCKS, not shims!

Back