• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

knocking under driverside floor board

Cerober1

NAXJA Forum User
First off I have done numerous searches for this and I didn't find anythis pertaining to this issue.
When I turn at very low speeds on pavement there is a knocking under my driverside floor.
My wife says she doesn't feel it on the passenger side.
I do have aftermarket lower arms and stock uppers. And a three inch crap comp lift with stock leafs.
Any ideas let me know where to start

Left turn or right turn, does it matter? how large are your tires? I know my tire will catch on a turn an the lugs will rub on the fender lining. Just a thought.

Any direction turning and I'm running 31x10.5 tires.
I thought it was coming from my upper control arms but I do t see any excess movement out of them. That's kind of the noise and location it feels like it's coming from.

That last post just made me realize I haven't even check to make sure the four wheel drive works or even if it's stuck in four wheel drive. As far as I know it's not but how do I check if it is stuck in four wheel drive n

If they are Pro-crap lca's,look there first!

Check the torque on all the lift parts, and on the track bar frame bracket.

Check the motor mounts.

Check the control arm bushings for wear.

Check the u-joints for wear.

Just a thought, may want to check and make sure all exhaust pipe hangers are tight. I had a rear hanger rust into and it was allowing the exhaust to bounce off of the transfer case mount. Gave me the same symptoms, a thumping underneath the drivers side floor.

Where you at in the OC again? I could come over tomorrow and help diagnose the problem.

I'm in la Palma up by Buena park. Cresent and moody. That would be great. I've been wrenching by myself so I only have one perspective of everything. New set of eyes are always helpful.

You might want to check the bushings on your transfer case lever. Mine had a similar issue after I lifted it. I can't remember but I think the is a TSB about it.

With 31x10.50s on stock rims you will rub the lower control arms if you haven't reset the stops.

Check the LCAs for rub marks.

With 31x10.50s on stock rims you will rub the lower control arms if you haven't reset the stops.

Check the LCAs for rub marks.

What Joe said. Especially if your tires have an aggressive tread pattern that includes lugs with space between them on the outside edges.

I get a knocking from the steering column making left or right turns in my other Jeep (a TJ). Been there for years and relatively common. Sounds bad but nothing to worry about.

Check your steering box bolts, track bar and bracket as already noted, and if you can make it happen by braking hard in forward or reverse, your balljoints as well. Check if your caliper brackets on the knuckle have worn spots that could be letting the caliper clunk back and forth.

I have after market rims on. They don't show any signs of rubbing. Seeing how the po painted everything on the front end rattle can red. I would be able to see paint wear. Everything seems to be torqued down properly. My CA bushings look a little worn.

I'm starting to think that my slight acceleration wobble and driverside knocking might be caused by each other. I'm going to try to check my trans mounts and exhaust this weekend. Any suggestions on checking the trans mounts

Hey Clayton,

I get off work at 3 pm tomorrow. I'll give you a call to see if you still want me to come over.

Back