• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my leaf spring bushing EXPLODED!

XJwheelman

NAXJA Forum User
so I went to put a new exhaust hanger on today since I break them so frequently. and I found this...
this
IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

the only thing I can come up with is the exhaust tip heated the bushing up so much it just exploded with I hit a bump.
well now I have to put a new bushing in and Im not sure how to do it. anybody have any suggestions

By all those grind marks,I dont think it was the exhaust causing the problem!

I don't think those are grind marks it looks more like melted rubber goo. To replace the bushing you need to have what's left of the old one removed and have the new one pressed in. Did you cut down the exhaust too much so it blows the hot exhaust on it or what, that's what it looks like to me. I've never seen one melt like that before? You should make sure the exhaust is as far from the new bushing as possible so it doesn't happen again too.

Last edited:
yep.. exhaust Gasses are nothing to laugh at.. wish it was a bushing and not a gas tank that taught me that..

I'm having a hard time finding the exhaust in the pics, but I'd bet a lot it was the exhaust that melted that bushing. There may have even been a fire you didnt notice, lucky the gas tank wasnt involved!
Its gonna be fun getting the rest of the old bushing out, might even have to take the leaf off.
Is that an aftermarket shackle? It looks non-symmetrical, bowed to the outside.

the shackle is a JKS boomerang shackle. I had to cut the exhaust tip when I installed the shackle because the spring came down on the the exhaust. so now since this happened Im going to cut the pipe to go straight out the back, but I have to add some pipe to it.
I have never had to put a bushing into a leaf shackle before, it looks like Im going to have to take the leaf spring off. any suggestions on how to proceed would be awesome!
or you can just point and laugh

NO they won't. Turn the bolt the other way, so the nut is on the outside. Then get a tip for the exhaust points down..Mine rubs a little but it hasn't hurt nothing.

I did the same thing when I put my JKS boomerangs on, years ago. All it takes is a turn down tip.

Back