• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

53,676 miles on OEM plugs!

RCP Phx

NAXJA Forum User
Im headed for Tucson tomorrow so I finally decided to change out the plugs(Champion RC12ECC's) .Man,I couldnt believe they looked that good.Mileage had definately fallen off over the years(I was getting 22-23mpg's on 32's and 5+"s of lift,down to about 15-16mpg's recently).I decided to try the NGK V's and will do a MPG test on the trip down and on the way back tomorrow.It definately idles smoother but I dont really notice any difference on the throttle response.

I once went over a hundred thousand miles on a set of plugs. I just forgot about it until it started to stumble at wide open throttle. The ignition system on the XJ is so good that it will continue to start well until the plugs just erode away to nothing, so you have to pay attention.

There's a lot to be said about fuel injection and computer controlled ignition. Most of the folks on here don't know the joys of breaker points, condensers, generators, kingpins, HydroMatic trannies, etc. I guess I'm giving away my age.....

There's a lot to be said about fuel injection and computer controlled ignition. Most of the folks on here don't know the joys of breaker points, condensers, generators, kingpins, HydroMatic trannies, etc. I guess I'm giving away my age.....

I still have one of these.:D. Nice to work on a older car.

Back