• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C compressor

boncrshr

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question regarding my A/C compressor. When I turn the A/C on, it cools briefly, then the compressor seems to lock up and the belt starts smoking as the pulley won't turn. Then when I turn the A/C off, the pulley will spin again.

I am guessing this is something internal in the compressor? I have had the clutch go bad and it would not turn at all.

Sounds like the clutch is working perfectly, but then after a short while the AC compressor seizes up internally, and the clutch continues holding so the belt slips and smokes.

Time for a new AC compressor, cheap to get at a junkyard and cheap to refill if you can find a local friendly who will let you borrow his evac equipment or do it for a 6 pack if you bring it to him.

Ok, thank you...will do. Not the news I wanted to hear, but at least I am not stuck like when my clutch went out.

Ok, thank you...will do. Not the news I wanted to hear, but at least I am not stuck like when my clutch went out.

Nope probably not, but its not too bad of a repair and fairly obvious one at that.

If you were local and had a replacement AC compressor I could have it replaced and recharged for you in less than an hour. I've done enough of that work that I am seriously considering competitive time trials for repairs.

Nope probably not, but its not too bad of a repair and fairly obvious one at that.

If you were local and had a replacement AC compressor I could have it replaced and recharged for you in less than an hour. I've done enough of that work that I am seriously considering competitive time trials for repairs.

LOL! I know that feeling....for a while I could have been a radiator removal tech and door panel removal tech. Two of my best friends and my Mom all have Cherokees....it's weird how the problems go in cycles.

LOL! I know that feeling....for a while I could have been a radiator removal tech and door panel removal tech. Two of my best friends and my Mom all have Cherokees....it's weird how the problems go in cycles.

Between my good friends and their family, I see 8 XJ's on a regular basis including mine. It's very interesting to see how the problems evolve on them...especially the common ones that no XJ is immune to.

I've become quite good at exhaust manifold replacements (can do it start to finish in about an hour (less on mine as i've had the stupid thing off so much the bolts holding it on practicaly fall off now), and i'm getting quicker at my evaporator/heater core replacements too!

Probably the longest part of changing the a/c compressor on an XJ is discharging the system. Everything else is pretty simple.

Back