• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering box issue after nate`s bumper install

willsmysticcobra

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys just need a little advice. Yesterday I installed my nate`s 4x4 prerunner bumper. When it came to removing the steering box bolts, they came out surprisingly easy and I didn`t even crush or twist the aluminum stock triangle spacer. Anyways, I slipped in my jcr steering box spacer/ reinforcer and all seemed to go well...

Well the nates bumper only had the two lower drill holes for the steering box drilled out. I was super pressed for time to get my truck out of my buddies garage so I just lock tighted the two lowers and went on my way.... drove perfect on the way home, zero issues.

On my way to work, the steering wheel was suddenly tilted about thirty degrees to the right. Kinda freaked out, once I got to work I beasted the two bolts to to 65 foot lbs and straightened out the wheel.

My question is do you think the two bolts with the jcr spacer can hold up, or am I due to drill out a third hole and try and guide in a third bolt?

damn thats what I thought... this is going to be a total blind guess on where to drill... kinda pissed off

See if you can drill from the steering box side though if I remember correctly space is tight. If not see if you can dab some grease on a stick and aim it down the hole and dab the bumper plate.

^ yes that is a good idea...... I am thinking of laying the stock aluminum piece over the bumper and running a small metal drill bit through it and hoping it goes right in..... Still can`t believe the Nates bumper has only two holes for the steering brace... not good.

sigh... the pic

200134_10150163108250926_576175925_8737656_3098561_n.jpg

If the aluminum spacer is straight then I'd do that. Enlarge it to 1/2" just in case you mess up a bit. Put the spacer over where the 2 bottom bolts are. Take a punch and give it a good whack to prevent bit wandering. Start with a small bit like a 3/8" then go up from there. Remember, slow speed, high pressure for steel. Also apply cutting oil.

all fixed... thanks guys... steering wheel is straight as an arrow now.... Now if only this damn JCR plate would line up with my frame lol

Back