• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Plating an oil pan?

id not like my cast alum trans to suppout the wieght of the jeep, plus that would kill the gasket after a couple hits

I think you would risk the bellhousing or the case cracking if you hit it solid on something, better that the skid plates are tied into the body and not drivetrain components. You can always bend the sheetmetal and keep driving, a broken bellhousing not so much.

Yeah, I know about the problems with depending on a plated pan but the cross member style pans don't have any support on either side of the skid.
So what you have is a skid that just rocks or bends anytime it gets hit.
Let me dig up a picture...

Crossmember-1.jpg

This is what I'd like to avoid, a skid pan with no support, but it may just be the best I can do.

Any bending you get with a skid like that will be minimal compared to using the aluminum trans and t-case housings as skids, an actually skid plate is just a much better idea.

What skid is that, homemade? My engine skid (Skid Row) is supported by the LCA mounting bolts in the front which makes it extremely solid, it may be a little bent and scratched but it's better than tearing up oilpan, starter, trans lines, 02 sensor wiring and exhaust system instead that's for sure. you could also reenforce the front of it from the motor mounts if your running a long arm kit.

Last edited:
That is a Fabworks pan.
I can't use the one you have because my lower control arms are now located near the stock cross-member.
An other option is creating a mounting ring that could be bolted to the bell housing. I'll think of something (then build it, rethink it, take it apart, and do it over again.)

do you have a site or anything for fabworks, when you search it brings up about 20 million sites. i think i could use that skid as a platform for what i want.
thanks

Has anyone just plated the auto tranny pan rather than building a cross memeber skid to cover it?
Any success? Failure?

I hit my trans pan once, not too hard, no skid - and it broke in two. You know that I am easy on my jeep - or at least, as easy as you are going to be..

I wouldnt try it, find some way to make some frame or body mounts for the skid..

I hit my trans pan once, not too hard, no skid - and it broke in two. You know that I am easy on my jeep - or at least, as easy as you are going to be..

I wouldnt try it, find some way to make some frame or body mounts for the skid..

did the pan break or did you hose up the aluminum case?

I'd just be really worried about all the leverage from the trans hitting something solid just breaking the bellhousing off the front of the trans.

Also with that skid that was posted earlier, I think the bending of the front "shelf" under the trans could be solved by using a piece of DOM bent into a hoop and welded to the skid. Then just plate the hoop underneath. That should be strong enough not to get bent up badly, unless you're truely abusing the snot out of it.

I'd imagine it shouldn't be too hard to run some supports off the skid to tie into the "frame" or maybe floorpan.

That skid looks like it's going to raise the trans a lot no? I would think you might wind up with driveline vibs if it lifts it too much. Is that an xj skid or tj one your trying to make work on an xj, I've never seen a disign like that for an xj, I like it but just never saw one like that for an xj before though.

Last edited:
Back