• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM Interior Spare Mount pictures needed

SonicCougar99

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there, I'm hoping someone has something tonight they can share, I need to figure this out by tomorrow morning (going on a long trip and need the spare out of the way). Can someone show me a picture of how the OEM spare tire mount in an 89 Cherokee works? Mine has the threaded bar, but I'm not sure if there's supposed to be more to it or not. If it just needs a lug nut to hold it up, I can do that easily of course. I've had it laying down in the cargo area since I bought it, but I'm going on a road trip tomorrow with some friends and we're using my Jeep and I need the spare up out of the way if at all possible. Thanks!!

No pictures, but it sounds like you have the J-shaped threaded rod that hooks through a hole in the metal tab that sticks out through the interior panel. On my '92 there is a large plastic wingnut that threads onto the rod to hold the wheel.

A lugnut would not thread far enough onto the rod to do any good. Besides, I think the rod is smaller diameter than the wheel studs. If you can stop by a junkyard you should be able to find the plastic wingnut there...or failing that, I would take the rod into the hardware store and find appropriate nuts/washers to take its place.

Also, there should be an L-shaped metal bracket on the floor beneath where the rod goes, that the spare rests on. I'm missing this part for some reason, but the rod alone holds my donut spare pretty well.

Thanks, I ended up taking the rod to the hardware store and got a wingnut and washer to hold it up and it works great!

Back