• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overheating - smells like antifreeze in cabin

sartor

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all -

am having some overheating issues with my XJ.

Had the stock radiator replaced with a new stock one about a year ago now. A few times after having driven maybe 20 miles in not-so-hot Phoenix weather, upon pulling into a parking stall, having anti-freeze pouring out onto the pavement. Is pouring out of the anti-freeze overflow container. Temp. gauge not reading hot (unless 210 is hot), usually reads about 195. Also, smells like anti-freeze in the cabin often - not super strong, but noticeable. Not misting up the windows or anything. Though does smell stronger when the heater has just been turned on. No wet carpet anywhere.

Any ideas as to where to start??

not sure about the cap - will have a look.

when I've popped the hood after noticing anti-freeze on the pavement, I've not noticed anything wet around the cap, but have around the overflow container. Would that negate the radiator cap possibility?

Sounds like heater core/lines are leaking. Pass. side behind dash.
What year is your xj? 87-90 were renix, closed system and the tank had a pressure cap. 91+ had a standard overflow tank with open system which used a pressurized rad cap.

x2 on heater core. if it smells like coolant inside with the windows up and the ac/heater not blowing, that's a sure sign of a leaking core. depending on your year XJ it will be a piece of cake or a pain in the ass. 97+ the heater core is a real beeyotch to get out without removing the dash.

Always post the year/engine in every post for the most accurate replies.

Coolant smell in the cabin is usually a leaking heater core.

The part is inexpensive, but the job itself is a PITA and expensive if you have to farm out the job.

whoops! Spaced not posting the year - 2001 Sport 4x4, 4.0

I'm hoping this falls in the "NOT A P.I.T.A." year and model, though I suspect I'm deluding myself.

thanks for the posts -

year - 2001 Sport 4x4, 4.0

I'm hoping this falls in the "NOT A P.I.T.A." year and model

Yep. Definitely does fall into the PITA category. All the new body styles require you to remove the whole dash (unless you feel like hacking the heater box up). :eek:

I don't know what everyone else is talkign about though, doing the heater core in my '91 was still a huge pain in the ass. At least I only had to remove half the dash though.

I highly recommend you check absolutely EVERYTHING before even considering attempting the heater core. I would rather replace everything else in the cooling system before I would do the heater core again.

In that my cooling system heaves its contents onto the ground on occasion, could it be that I am smelling fluids that are leaking in the engine compartment coming through into the cabin, rather than a heater core issue?

And what about that occasional boiling over? It has happened maybe 4 times in the last 1.5 years, and not necessarily on a hot day nor driving aggressively. For example, I drove about 25 miles the other day on the freeway (65mph), pulled into a shopping plaza, and the boiling over started.

What's up with that?

In that my cooling system heaves its contents onto the ground on occasion, could it be that I am smelling fluids that are leaking in the engine compartment coming through into the cabin, rather than a heater core issue?

And what about that occasional boiling over? It has happened maybe 4 times in the last 1.5 years, and not necessarily on a hot day nor driving aggressively. For example, I drove about 25 miles the other day on the freeway (65mph), pulled into a shopping plaza, and the boiling over started.

What's up with that?

You REALLY need to resolve this issue. Overheating on a 2001 with the "infamous" 0331 cylinder head which is prone to cracking between cylinders 3-4 is an absolute recipe for disaster. An efficient cooling system will never boil over.

I can't emphasize this enough. You must get your cooling system in shape or you will have a cracked cylinder head, and if that isn't caught soon enough, you will have damaged bearings inside the engine as the coolant mixes with the oil.

And because you have a cooling system problem, I would hold off on that heater core. The cooling system deserves top billing here.

Start with a flush/fill with 50-50 mix of green conventional coolant. A new 195 degree thermostat (I buy mine from Jeep and also like the Stant SuperStat) A new radiator cap is only $5.00; buy one. Fan clutches can fail and when they do, it usually results in temperature creeping up at idle. If water pump or radiator are suspect, replace them and when you do one, do the other. If you have any original hoses, replace them. There are only four of them. 10 year old hoses owe you nothing.

With cooling system maintenance, it's pay me now, or pay me a LOT more later!

Sounds like heater core/lines are leaking. Pass. side behind dash.
Sounds like a slam dunk to me. Even just a pinhole would cause a pressure loss AND smell in the cab. It'll only get worse. You could use some stop leak or ground pepper but I would just fix it...

I've read all the responses and now feel I have a clear angle as to how to begin - thanks tons for all responses.

And am I understanding this correctly? - if the cooling system has been compromised with a leak somewhere, i this case possibly a faulty radiator cap or a pinhole in a hose, that this could cause an overheating? Pressure = proper heating temps? And all this could cause fluids to come out via the coolant overflow container??

Let me know if know if you figure out why yours is dumping coolant. Mine does a similar thing. Around 225 it starts to puke. Btw I did my heater core in my 98 and it was a big pita, took about 8 hrs. Could probably get that down to 4-5 now that I've done one

This is correct, typical boiling point for water itself is 212F at sea level. + coolant and it increases more ( don't know numbers for this) and when pressurized the boiling point is even greater. I want to say 5F for every psi? Do NOT quote me on that number, but hopefully you get the idea.

I've read all the responses and now feel I have a clear angle as to how to begin - thanks tons for all responses.

And am I understanding this correctly? - if the cooling system has been compromised with a leak somewhere, i this case possibly a faulty radiator cap or a pinhole in a hose, that this could cause an overheating? Pressure = proper heating temps? And all this could cause fluids to come out via the coolant overflow container??

Let me know if know if you figure out why yours is dumping coolant. Mine does a similar thing. Around 225 it starts to puke. Btw I did my heater core in my 98 and it was a big pita, took about 8 hrs. Could probably get that down to 4-5 now that I've done one

Back