• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine compatibility ????

usmc97hd

NAXJA Forum User
Have a few motors to go look at this weekend and just want to get some info before hand. I have a 98 with a bad motor and need to know if 1999, 2000 or 2001 motors will be a direct swap and if not what would have to be changed.

Thanks,

Steve

You don't want a 00/01 motor, they have the 0331 head. Think they will bolt up though. I'd aim for the 99.

Thanks guys. I knew about the head issue. At this point im more concerned with being able to drop in an engine and go. This is my DD and im down to riding my Harley every day, which sucks in the rain. I have read on here that the intake/exhaust manifolds are different on the 00/01s and I know at least the 01s have coil on plug ignition. Just dont want to spend a bunch of money on something that reguires a bunch or extra work.

Don't get a 00-01 engine, head that cracks, and different exhaust manifolds. And you don't need the PCM, and most likely it may not work with your XJ. Just swap sensors over if any are different. I would get a 99 if you can find one. And get an XJ engine as it will fit without question. WJ engines won't, 00+ TJ engines won't (don't know about the earlier ones). ZJ engines may also be slightly different.

96-99 is direct interchange.

Anything from 91-01 can be made to work with some effort. Differences are in ignition parts, fuel plumbing (injectors and rail), sensors, and power steering/tensioner assemblies. You don't need an ECU for any of them, it's just a matter of swapping parts around.

The 96 will be a little different with regards to the power steering/tensioner assembly iirc, but not very. It's a horrible design but not as horrible as the 95 and earlier ones.

The distributor on the early models (forget, I believe RENIX has one design, OBD I another, OBD II non-DIS another, and OBD II DIS for 00/01 gets yet another) is different.

The cam sensor inside the distributor changed frequently, just like all of the other sensors. However it is not sold separately and is not intended to be serviced separately. So sometimes you have to swap distributor just to get the right year cam sensor

Thanks for all the info guys. Went to look at a 98 "Cherokee" that was a stolen recovery this morning. I was all excited. The guy said it was mostly all there and runs great. I figured I could get all the little interior, exterior and under hood parts and a motor all in one shot! Not to be. It turns out its a 98 "Grand Cherokee". Oh well. I can get it pretty cheap and need to know if the 4.0 in the Grand will bolt right in.

Back