• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

annoying...

SanDiegoOverland

NAXJA Forum User
Steering box bolt is hitting my front sway bar during driving.

I have a set of non-adjustable sway bar links that make up for about a 2" spacer lift. They position the sway bar perfectly to create this issue.

The plate that my bumper attaches to (Logans Metal) basically spaces the bolt out far enough to make the bolt head get "swiped" by the sway bar as it moves through it's arc of movement on a turn or when hitting a speed bump.

1. If the sway bar was spaced out about 1/2" I'd be golden.
2. I've tried to let the two parts "self-clearance" but after 6 months of daily-driving, I'm done waiting...lol.
3. Can I go shorter or longer with my sway bar links to possibly move the arc of the sway bar out of the way? Utilize Rusty's sway bar spacers maybe?

1992 xj aw4, d30, d35, np231, 4.0l, 2" spacer/bastard pack lift

Thanks!

Grind the bolt down a bit, or use a hose clamp against the bushing to locate the sway bar 1/2" over.

Grinding say 1/4" off the head of the bolt is "good-to-go" as far as strength goes?

I have no problem with the task "mechanically" speaking, just didn't know if it was advisable, I guess, LOL... :)

The hose clamp is a great idea, too. I wonder if I'd be creating the same problem on the other side if I did that, though. I'll have to measure and see.

Thanks!

That might a bit much to grind off. I had to grind off some of one of my bolts because I had the same issue, but i don't recall it being that much. As for the hose clamp, i have that as well. You will just have to see what the other side does.

Steering box bolt is hitting my front sway bar during driving.
I have a set of non-adjustable sway bar links that make up for about a 2" spacer lift. They position the sway bar perfectly to create this issue.
1. If the sway bar was spaced out about 1/2" I'd be golden.
2. I've tried to let the two parts "self-clearance" but after 6 months of daily-driving, I'm done waiting...lol.
3. Can I go shorter or longer with my sway bar links to possibly move the arc of the sway bar out of the way? Utilize Rusty's sway bar spacers maybe?

I bought a couple of 1" collars from McMaster-Carr to locate the sway bar and eliminate the same problem you have.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/5067816207/in/set-72157625009042061/
Dropping the sway bar mount 1" and moving the bar forward will also help provide clearance.

Those look pretty nice.. are they split on both sides?

Yes, they are a two piece design and clamp tightly around the sway bar.
They needed a little filing to fit where the bar curves.

Back