• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Worth $450?

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
I've had plans to get Currie's steering system for my xj for quite some time. The money's flowing in again and I'm looking to buy it at the end of the month but I've noticed the price went from $399 to $450. Now I'm reconsidering the purchase because I dunno if the setup is really worth spending $450 for. It's the same stock setup but only stronger. Why would they jump the price up $50?

Am I better off going with another steering system?

I know Rock Krawler has one but it uses Heims and I'm not sure of the durability of heims in the steering. JCR has a steering system but I hear it has the dreaded tie rod roll which causes a dead spot. Rugged Ridge has a setup similar to JCR but I've read mixed reviews on that one. I just want a steering system that I can bolt in and not have any issues with, or flaws to deal with.

I've had the Currie setup for quite a while and abused the crap out of it. Slightly bent the tie rod, but from what I've read, I can just toss it in a press and bend it back. I just adjust the toe and keep running it. Check out the vendors on here and Jeep Forum to get a good deal on it.

I've been running the JCR steering on my trail rig for almost 3 years now and I have no complaints. There is a small dead spot, but the problem's not as bad as it's made out to be. Plus, I've bashed it on a few rocks already and it hasn't bent at all.

yes worth it.

Then again, I feel like for the money, the ZJ upgrade is better for my needs.

I don't plan on running very large tires, though, and I do mostly mild stuff compared to most on here.

I have a question to add. Currie steering says it's for rigs UP TO 4" lift. As well as JCR's UTK set up. Is anyone running either one with 5"-6" of lift with no problems?

The WJ swap is nice.

I have "one ton" steering simliar to the JCR, 1.5" DOM with Chevy ends. I like it alot. When I had Inverted T (JCR) I did bend a rod end but only a little and it was the long end.
If you have a friend that can weld just get this
http://completeoffroad.com/i-124127-tie-rod-drag-link-kit-dana-3044-and-60.html

On the subject of Currie steering, im almost positive that they dont use a regular TRE, meaning if you break one you cant go to Napa to get a new one but with the One Ton style you can, and Autozone has lifetime warrentys on theirs.

I have a question to add. Currie steering says it's for rigs UP TO 4" lift. As well as JCR's UTK set up. Is anyone running either one with 5"-6" of lift with no problems?

I asked Currie about what lift heights their system is compatible with and here's what they said:

4 inches is what the steering is meant for. You can generally go a few inches shorter or a few inches taller than that. We typically say about 3 to 5 inches. You would be able to go closer to 2 and 6, but you will start having issues with the life of the drag link depending on how much you flex the suspension.

I've been running the JCR steering on my trail rig for almost 3 years now and I have no complaints. There is a small dead spot, but the problem's not as bad as it's made out to be. Plus, I've bashed it on a few rocks already and it hasn't bent at all.

With the tie rod spacer? how much lift ya using it with? I hear that the higher you are, the worse the dead spot is. I have 4.5" long arm lift but with a 1" DPA so the steering is facing a 3.5" lift.

Nope. No tie rod spacer. My front coils are 7.5", so I'm sitting pretty high. It's the UTK setup, as I couldn't justify doing the fab work on a lp30 that I'm planning to get rid of. If you decide to go this route, let me know. I still have the reamer for the knuckles if you need it.

I've got around 5" of lift with my Currie steering. RE 4.5" springs, 1" spacer, but big winch and bumper on the front to bring it down a tad. My TRE's seem fine so far.

I've used Northridge many times in the last few years and have never had any issue. Shipping and money were both always quick and easy.

Nope. No tie rod spacer. My front coils are 7.5", so I'm sitting pretty high. It's the UTK setup, as I couldn't justify doing the fab work on a lp30 that I'm planning to get rid of. If you decide to go this route, let me know. I still have the reamer for the knuckles if you need it.

Thanks for the offer on the reamer. If I go JCR, I'll be in touch.

Did Northridge fix their issues? I've heard alot of crap about them in the past, regarding shipping and money issues.
I've order alot for northridge lately and have never had any issue's

We have the Currie setup on the front of the desert racer and that is running a 5.5" Rubicon Express kit. It works great. We have never broken any steering parts. We busted the front housing at the last race which sheared both shock shafts and both lower control arms...it was the Currie steering that kept the front end from totally folding underneath the car.

Ok I decided on the currie setup. I got a forum discount on 4wheelingplus and came pretty close to Northridge's price so I had my gf order it and I will pay her back when I get my next pay check. I wanted to to order it asap before the price spiked up to $450 like on the other sites.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Back