• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Straight Pipe Laws

jeep_94_xj

NAXJA Forum User
okay, i have a 1994 cherokee sport, i am wanting to straight pipe it after the cat, so i know i am not breakingany catalytic converter laws, but is it legal to not use a muffler?

in cali u will get popped for noise pollution. but a muffler does not do anything for emmisions its all in the cat. i dont understand why u dont want a muffler though. the 4.0 sounds like shit wide open.

Im not sure, but I felt like I lost some torque when I didnt have a muffler (for a week.)

I'd recommend finding a nice high flow muffler. It's up to you.

I ran straight pipes for about a week until I could install my magnaflow. It was kinda cool at first but got old, real quick. I didnt notice any power gains or loss. Most states have laws regarding the sound leel your car can emit, while some don't. I think in SC theres no laws regarding mufflers. Its probably best to check with your state's DMV laws.

If you go offroad, most places require a muffler as a spark arrestor.

Tapatalky

okay, i have a 1994 cherokee sport, i want my Xj to sound like a ricer, is it legal to not use a muffler?

Fixed it for you :D

This really isn't OEM Tech. Or Tech at all for that matter. If you want to make your XJ sound like a farm tractor, go right ahead. Check with your local DMV or LEO to see if it's something that they allow in your State/Town. Some towns have stricter enforcement than the State. X2 on the Muffler in the Forest. USFS policy REQUIRES an OEM Style muffler to be installed on any vehicle traveling though a US Forest to catch sparks and prevent forest fires.

Last edited:
I live in Kansas City Area and never have had a problem with the Cops. I have my muffler cut. But it is a 2001 so it does have two pre cats and one final cat. I do not know how a pre-pre cat cherokee sounds like straight piped. Mine is still pretty quiet from the outside. Sounds unique

but a muffler does not do anything for emmisions its all in the cat.
================================================
JUST to be real picky here.
NOT TRUE.
The muf generates back pressure witch is needed to help warm the cat and in the given time for warmup. For OB1 3 min for OB2 90 seconds.
Most states don't care about warmup time or the muf as part of the emission. A few do so it's best to check.

Go with a magnaflow size and length is your choice.

but is it legal to not use a muffler?

Why would you want to??? Are you 16? 17? Mid-life crisis?

I live in Kansas City Area

...are there alot of National Forests, or forests at all in that region??

You can cut your fenders, Hack the back end off, lift it 12", put 10-12 500W lights on it, but really?? It won't make your engine any more powerful, it won't increase your mileage, it won't do a single thing except make your Jeep sound like crap.

It is, however, a free country...do what you like.

If you reduce the exhaust system back pressure too far it will effect how the engine runs.

These aren't dragsters designed from the ground up to run without back pressure.

However, you could remove the muffler and monkey-fist a straight section of pipe in there just to see what it does--worst case would be a ticket or you could set some grass on fire which would be really bad and likely get you some quality time with Bubba in the showers.

Seriously, Google "exhaust scavenging", lots of information on it.

Back