• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gearing questions......

XJJeepin85

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 Cherokee Classic, 5 speed, I6, with 3.07 gears in a d30 and a chrysler 8.25. It is lifted 3", and has 31" TSL Swampers on it.

My question is what would be a good and cheap gear swap for what i have?

Is it just a matter of changing the R&P gears on the front and rear rears?

yes front and rear
swap in axles out of an auto in. easy to get hands on. be fine for 31's too. (3.55)

sure. if your rear end is a D35 you can swap those over. but there isnt much reason to put any effort into a 35.

but yes. as long as axles are same (front must match pinion type) you can swap the 3.55, 3.73. or 4.10 (4banger xj/tj) into yours

no... the LP30 in the grands are standard cut, not reverse cut like your HP30. they wont work. the grand also never came with the 8.25 axle.

youd be best off searching the JYs in your area for a HP30 with 4.10s already, and swapping in an 8.8 in the rear. or... find XJ axles with 3.55s, with 3.55s and 32s your stock speedo gear will be spot on. 3.73s in an XJ are quite rare. try using car-parts.com to find stuff in your area.

To go to 4.10's you will need a new carrier for the D30. The 8.25 doesn't have a break in that range, so you are OK there. If you have a JY around look for 4-cylinder XJs, they have 4.10 gearing as stock, and swapping a whole axle can be cheaper & easier than a gear swap.

I just wanted to avoid uninstalling and reinstalling the aussie locker that i just put in the d30. But that seems like an easier route than just changing gears, if i need the carrier also.

Your best bet would be to simply find some 4:10 axles in a 4 banger auto and swap them in. It would be cheaper and easier than changing gears in your existing axles.

Back