• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6-point, E12 Tranny bolt, replacement?

paulhead

I overtighten $#!t
NAXJA Member
Is there a different bolt that can be used? Why was the f'd up bolt used?

Torx bolts are the robot's best friend.

Machine assembly goes better with Torx.

I would like to meet the engineer who decided to put a metric bolt on one side of the starter and a standard bolt on the other side. Found this out when I was taking the tranny out.

It seems that clowns get jobs based on who they know, not what they know.

Could be wrong, but.....

I would like to meet the engineer who decided to put a metric bolt on one side of the starter and a standard bolt on the other side. Found this out when I was taking the tranny out.

It seems that clowns get jobs based on who they know, not what they know.

Could be wrong, but.....

Engine side is gonna be SAE, tranny side is gonna be metric.

confusing yes I know

Engine side is gonna be SAE, tranny side is gonna be metric.

confusing yes I know

Not so much...

On RENIX, the screws are M10-1.5 into the starter nose housing, and 3/8"-16 into the transmission housing - on a Toyota-designed slushbox!

And correct - the Torx screws were developed to allow for greater torque application and more reliable handling in automated assembly. They're used for production assembly, and not for serviceability. Ergo, they get replaced.

This is largely why I've been trying to collect screw sizes - so there's somewhere that can be referred to when you need to source a replacement. That's why I'm trying to build a "screw chart" in the Tech section of my site.

Back