• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front leaf spring hanger bolt?

kaden.

NAXJA Forum User
the front leaf spring hanger bolt on the rear is really tight.(probably really rusted and messed up). any ways im trying to put new springs in and cant get it out. I dont want to break the weld on the nut, on the inside of the frame. what do you guys recomend. o yeah and i did soak it with pb buster. should i just let it sit longer?

I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the pocket underneth the nut. Stuck the tip of my torch in there and got the nut nice and hot, bolt released and unthreaded nicely.

welcome to jeepin. you're in utah, they salt the hell out of the roads up there right? salty water gets in between the bolt and the metal sleeve inside the bushing and rusts them together something fierce. you may have some luck hitting the head of the bolt a couple of times good and hard with a mini sledge hammer. I wouldn't worry about breaking the welds on the nut loose until you actually do it. it's simple to cut into the bottom of the pocket on the frame and grab the nut with a wrench to keep it from turning if that happens. plenty of threads around here about fixing stuck leaf spring bolts.

did you get the back ones out yet? those can be a real PITA too.

I used an angle grinder to cut the leaf at the eye, then chopped away at the eye and rubber bushing. I figured I would just cut the inner sleeve off the bolt but it popped loose after about an hour. Once they bolt broke free of the sleeve, I was able to back it out of the weld nut like normal

If you've gotten the bolt to turn, you should be able to get it out without surgery. I soaked mine with PB blaster for about 4 weeks before I started the project. I also came up with my own little twist on lubricating the bolts:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1047750

Good luck!

since the bolt head is turning you've already gotten it free of the nut, or broken it's welds. Don't worry about that. The issue is most likely that the bolt is seized in the sleeve in the bushing, and then the sleeve just turns in the rubber. The only way i've gotten them to come out is lots of heat and an impact. Or a cutoff wheel.

thank goodness mine are just regular hangers, because the last time I had my leafs out I had to cut both sides of the bolt and spread the hanger to drop them.

It came out of the nut... nut the sleeve is stuck to the bolt.:smsoap: Guess ill just be cutting the leaf spring out, then the bushing so i can get ahold of the sleeve. inless anyone has a better idea.
thanks

Cut the bolt. Your putting on new springs anyway so why not use new hardware. No reason to save the old bolt...

You can then press out the bolt and sleeve, saving the stock spring pack.

You won't be able to get grade 8 in that size, you need ISO Property Class 10.9 or higher, it's an M14x2.0 bolt 140mm long iirc.

The LCA bolts on XJs and WJs are the same bolt however. So all you have to do is go to the junkyard and grab a couple of those, they usually come out pretty easy. Save the nuts too in case you booger one up or break a weldnut free at some point.

^^^ This. I just went to the local Fastenal and got the 10.9 replacements. $40ish for 6 bolts and I didn't have to worry about saving the old hardware, plus you get the warm and fuzzy feeling knowing that you have new bolts holding your suspension together.

Got my replacements for like $30.00 at the dealer. Had to ship them in from 3 different dealerships and I had to wait a day, but all 6 OEM.

Back