• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question on oil pressure sensors Renix vs HO

old_man

NAXJA Forum User
I'm a Renix guru, but I don't have all the manuals on the newer models. I need to use an oil pressure sensor for a non Jeep related project. I know how the Renix sensor works. It is a variable resistance unit.

Does anybody have the info on how the newer oil pressure sensors work? Are they variable resistance or variable voltage? Do you have the info on converting the sensor reading to actual pressure?

This is from alldata for a 93 4.0 sending unit. I cant find anything converting the readings to psi.

The oil pressure indicating system consists of an instrument voltage regulator, electrical oil pressure gauge and a sending unit which are connected in series. The sending unit consists of a diaphragm, contact and a variable resistor. As oil pressure increases or decreases, the diaphragm actuates the contact on the variable resistor, in turn controlling current flow to the gauge. When oil pressure is low, the resistance of the variable resistor is high, restricting current flow to the gauge, in turn indicating low oil pressure. As oil pressure increases, the resistance of the variable resistor is lowered, increasing current flow to the gauge, resulting in an increased gauge reading.

This is from a 2000 4.0 oil pressure sensor.
The 3-wire, solid-state engine oil pressure sensor (sending unit) is located in an engine oil pressure gallery.

The oil pressure sensor uses three circuits. They are:

• A 5-volt power supply from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
  • A sensor ground through the PCM's sensor return
  • A signal to the PCM relating to engine oil pressure
The oil pressure sensor has a 3-wire electrical function very much like the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor. Meaning different pressures relate to different output voltages.

A 5-volt supply is sent to the sensor from the PCM to power up the sensor. The sensor returns a voltage signal back to the PCM relating to engine oil pressure. This signal is then transferred (bussed) to the instrument panel on either a CCD or PCI bus circuit (depending on vehicle line) to operate the oil pressure gauge and the check gauges lamp. Ground for the sensor is provided by the PCM through a low-noise sensor return.

Last edited:
The HO type is also a variable resistance, but it works backwards: disconnect it and it pins the gauge. If you're planning to do a non-Jeep application, I'd go with the Renix type, which should be compatible with conventional gauges. But before going too far how about just going to an auto parts store or the like (marine might do too) and getting a generic sender and gauge?

I can't find any resistance figures in either the 95 or 99 FSM, so you'd have to experiment.

Anyobody know the colors of the wires on the 2001 XJ oil pressure sensor?

I need to know what wire does what. The pigtail I got has an orange, a brown with blue tracer, and a black with blue tracer. These may or may not match the colors in the OEM harness. Ideally if someone has a connector pinout diagram, that would be great.

PM answered. If you develop a pressure/resistance curve for the sensors I'd mentioned, please share!

I finished the project with the oil pressure sensor being used as an air pressure sensor. It works great.

The sensor runs off of a 5v supply. The output at 0 psi is .5v and the output at 60 psi is 3.0v.

psi = (output - .5v)* 24

Variable voltage = variable resistance. E =IR

I believe that pesky I on the right hand sand says it is not equal, but If you said it was proportional I would agree!:laugh3:

Back