• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

questions about installing T&T truss

brett3xx

NAXJA Forum User
Im installing a T&T truss on a HP 44 front axle. The directions say to cut off 2 3/8" off the drivers side casting all the way around the axle. i did this, but when I removed the casting i noticed there was some fluid under the casting. It wasnt much, but enough to make me think that gear fluid could start leaking out from here once i Have the axle in the truck. So should I try to weld the axle tube to the center section? Ive been told that If I preheat and post heat the cast, I can mig weld it.

Also Ive tried searching for write ups and pics of this install, but every write up I find for installing the t&T truss on a HP44 the pics no longer work? Any one have any links to a good write up for this install? Thanks in advance.

here is a pic after we removed the casting
5e2bbe20.jpg

Last edited:
Clean off and carefully inspect the plug welds on the center section. The tube couldve spun just a little inside the housing, a common sign of that is leaking oil outta there. Regaurdless, I would highly recommend welding the tubes to the center section on any axle being built. Ive had good luck welding a few tubes with using my MIG. I used my torch to throughly heat the casting up and clean out any junk in there. Lay down a solid bead, I did two on my 14b because of its awesome size. I've only done some halfass postheating afterwards and havent had any problems of the welds cracking or breaking away. On my 8.8, I did no postheating and its been fine.

8.8:

9b9l02.jpg

HP60:

2v9ssuw.jpg

14b:

2lxh84i.jpg

Back