• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trail difficulty levels

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Harlan bases the trail system on 4 colors/levels of difficulty.

Blue and green are the easiest trails. Under a normal rating system, these would rate a level 1 to 3.

Orange is more difficult. Rates a 3-4.

Red is the most difficult. Rates a 5+.

Rides will be put together based on difficulty levels. The nice thing about Harlan is you can get to all the difficult trails to watch via easier ones.

Harlan offers really nice color maps that have both ATV and truck trails listed. We must follow the truck trails.

Red trails require a helmet.

For us Harlan newbs,

Based on trail difficulty levels, what would be suggested XJ modifications needed?

They have 5 levels of trails. There are trails there that a stock 4x4 can traverse and most of the red and orange, level 4 and 5, have these easy trails rigth next to them. That is one of the best things about Harlan IMHO. If I'm in a stock 4x4 I can get close to all the exciting parts of the park to watch.

Red trails that are listed on the map from last year that REQUIRE a helmet are: Pin Ball, Cream Puff, Pony Hill, Lower Damnation, Little Jager, Upper Damnation, Roger's Ridge, Under Estimated, Lion's Den and Can Opener.

Red trails that are listed on the map from last year that REQUIRE a helmet are: Pin Ball, Cream Puff, Pony Hill, Lower Damnation, Little Jager, Upper Damnation, Roger's Ridge, Under Estimated, Lion's Den and Can Opener.

srsly?

damn, now I've got to find helmets.

there might be some bike helmets in the garage yet, will those suffice? Lion's Den is a red trail? meh, it can be done on 33's he said!

srsly?

damn, now I've got to find helmets.

there might be some bike helmets in the garage yet, will those suffice? Lion's Den is a red trail? meh, it can be done on 33's he said!

Yes. I dug my map out today to check. I think I remember Mason Jar having a sign up last year saying they were required. Bike helmets should be fine.

Last edited:
Yes. I dug my map out today to check. I think I remember Mason Jar having a sign up last year saying they were required. Bike helmets should be fine.

I don't remember a sign up saying anything about helmets, but I wasn't paying attention. I found our two bike helmets, so I'll toss them in the cab. I can't say it's such a bad idea. Lion's Den was scary enough last year that I had considered a helmet for this year anyway.

Also, remember that this is county leased property and they have deputies that patrol the trails. We meet one last year and talked with him for quite a while. Several in our group wanted to know where to apply for the job.

We meet one last year and talked with him for quite a while. Several in our group wanted to know where to apply for the job.
We all asked the same thing too!

Back