• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Getting from the Rubicon to Deer Valley

tell me what you want to do

• 4 - stay in Tahoe then run Deer Valley N to S to Hermit Valley on Fri

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EricsXJ

NAXJA Member #616
NAXJA Member
So I’ve been volunteered ;) to coordinate a plan for those people on the Rubicon run who want to head down for the “Main Event” of SierraFest which will be held at the Hermit Valley campground which is the South end of the Deer Valley Trail on Hwy 4.

I realize after 4 days on the ‘Con there will be various ideas on what to do and how to get to the “Main Event”. Some people will go home, some may want to spend a night in a hotel/motel at South Shore Tahoe. All of that can be incorporated. Below are some suggestions and I am making a poll to find out what you would like to do or are planning to do. That way if people are going their own ways or splitting off into smaller groups at least we have some idea what people are doing. Whatever you do, it is our goal to meet up at the Main Event on Saturday. I figure anyone coming to this area for the first time might appreciate knowing what some alternatives there are.

Here’s a map I stole and bastardized (sorry Letterman!)

rubicondeervalley.jpg

Option 1: drive straight from the Rubicon (Loon side or Tahoe side) directly to Hermit Valley (“Deer Valley Campground” on map). This would be a long day of driving and really will depend on how long it takes to exit the Rubicon. Remember you would be driving a good chunk of the Rubicon on that day (from Buck Island out) and I will tell you it will be a long drive if you plan to take the pavement Hwy 89 to Hwy 4 and over Ebbetts Pass. I estimate 2 – 3 hours drive time not including stops for gas which you will need to do. This option gets you to Hermit Valley on Thursday evening.

Option 2: Stay in South Shore or camp somewhere Thursday night after doing the ‘Con. Then on Friday, drive directly to Hermit Valley on pavement.

Option 3: Stay in South Shore or camp somewhere Thursday night. Then on Friday, run the Strawberry Creek Trail, then take the back way (Forest Road 013) in to Blue Lakes and camp at Blue Lakes Friday Night.

Option 4: Stay in South Shore or camp somewhere Thursday night. Then on Friday, take Blue Lakes Rd and run the Deer Valley Trail North to South to Hermit Valley.

Option 5: Same as Option 4 but run Strawberry Creek Trail and Deer Valley enroute to Hermit Valley.

Option 6: Drive from the Rubicon to Blue Lakes and camp there Thursday and or Friday night.

Option 7: something different than the above

Note on Camping at Blue Lakes Campground (Option 3 and 6). If any of us decide to camp here on Friday night, we can run the Deer Valley Trail from the North on Saturday, while those people at Hermit Valley run the trail from the South. We would meet up in the middle of the trail (between the two water crossings) and proceed South at that point. Those who are familiar with past NAXJA runs on DV know that the group usually only proceeds to this point (coming from the South) and then stops for lunch and socializing. Some of the group continues North to the second water crossing and the others split into groups to head back down to Hermit Valley as they desire. One benefit camping at Blue Lakes is you will get to see some awesome scenery taking the back way in from Red Lake, and you get to run the entire Deer Valley Trail. It will be very easy for those coming from the North and those coming from the South to meet at the usual spot between the river crossings (its actually just north of the southernmost crossing).

Also note that Blue Lakes is a developed campground with pay sites and toilet facilities. There are a few undeveloped spots to camp on the trail (no fee) just in from the North trail head but they can only hold a few rigs at each spot. There are no toilet facilities if you camp on the trail. You might not be able to have a camp fire there but you can have a campfire if you are staying in the developed campground.

Personally I like the idea of camping at Blue Lakes and taking a more leisurely trip to the Main Event. If there are others who wish to do this also, I can lead the way in from the North on Saturday. I am very familiar with the Blue lakes area and Deer Valley Trail.

If you want to do something different, feel free to do so. Its totally up to you!

I also wanted to throw this out to whomever is interested.

My personal plan is to run the Rubicon in both directions. So this means I will be leaving out thorugh Loon Lake and Icehouse Rd. I would like to then run through strawberry and possibly Deer Valley if am with some fast moving rigs/drivers.

I may also be stopping for a shower on the way out. Bring lots of quarters with you, coin operated showers along Icehouse Rd, and I'm not talking about Icehouse Resort.

Turn off Icehouse Rd at the Sunset and Fashoda Campgrounds, and follow the signs to the showers at the Fashoda campground.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/documents/rogs/rog_pac_fashoda.pdf

Depending on what time of day we get off the trail on Thursday I may or may not camp there as well. But as you know plans are always changing up until the last minute. These showers are nice if you plan on staying out camping for a few more days. Bring quarters with you.

Last edited:
First off thanks to Eric and Bryan for taking the lead on this years Sierra Fest.

I am not voting because, if I make it, I will run with whatever works best at the time.

I also wanted to throw this out to whomever is interested.

My personal plan is to run the Rubicon in both directions. So this means I will be leaving out thorugh Loon Lake and Icehouse Rd. I would like to then run through strawberry and possibly Deer Valley if am with some fast moving rigs/drivers.

I may also be stopping for a shower on the way out. Bring lots of quarters with you, coin operated showers along Icehouse Rd, and I'm not talking about Icehouse Resort.

Turn off Icehouse Rd at the Sunset and Fashoda Campgrounds, and follow the signs to the showers at the Fashoda campground.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/documents/rogs/rog_pac_fashoda.pdf

Depending on what time of day we get off the trail on Thursday I may or may not camp there as well. But as you know plans are always changing up until the last minute. These showers are nice if you plan on staying out camping for a few more days. Bring quarters with you.

Bryan ,

are you planning to run into buck , then to tahoe then back to buck and then back out to loon?

or just to buck and back to loon?

i know 3 nights and 4 days is more than enough to run to tahoe and back to loon...

Bryan ,

are you planning to run into buck , then to tahoe then back to buck and then back out to loon?

or just to buck and back to loon?

i know 3 nights and 4 days is more than enough to run to tahoe and back to loon...

My plans have changed a few times, honestly.

I am officially out for the Deer Valley half of the run.

The plan has always been to camp at Buck Island Lake Monday night, and then run out the Tahoe side on Wednesday.

I may or may not run the trail back out the Loon Lake side. It just depends on what is going on at the time, but I wouldn't plan on it happening at this point.

Back