• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Deer Valley Aug 12-14

EricsXJ

NAXJA Member #616
NAXJA Member
Here's a preliminary schedule for the Deer Valley portion of this event. The "Main Event" is to run the Deer Valley Trail on Saturday followed by a dinner(?) and raffle that evening.

This will be held at the Hermit Valley Campground off Hwy 4 which is at the South end of the Deer Valley Trail.

Friday 12th - optional trail runs of Strawberry Creek or Slick Rock Road
Saturday 13th - Deer Valley Trail, dinner/raffle
Sunday 14th - optional Slick Rock Road and/or depart for home.

I do not know if anyone has been selected to take charge of the dinner and raffle. We also might need Trail Leaders for Deer Valley and the optional trail rides if people want to do them. Any volunteers?

I will be posting up some suggestions for those people on the Rubicon Trail and how we can link these two parts of the event together in a separate thread. Part of that might include the Strawberry Creek trail ride on Friday which I can lead. More to come.

I do not know if anyone has been selected to take charge of the dinner and raffle. We also might need Trail Leaders for Deer Valley and the optional trail rides if people want to do them. Any volunteers?

wavey.gif
That would be me! I would be very appreciative if we had more volunteers to help out though!
Billy

Directions to Hermit Valley Campground
From Stockton, head East on Highway 4 Hermit Camp is nine miles East of Lake Alpine general store.

Elevation: 7100 Feet
Latitude: 38° 32 20.5" N
Longitude: -120° 6 11.8" W

More info here:
http://4x4trailmaps.com/4x4Trails.php?Trail_ID=1

On highway 4 after the entrance to Slick Rock and Alpine Lake the highway is a windy, twisty, tight, little road. It drops down to one lane in areas and for most of the distance there is no yellow center dividing line. I have seen RV’s on that road, but it is kind of ugly, not a area to drive fast, and with a trailer you can do it, but you will need to take your time. An ugly road but it has some great views!

Here is a quick map of the skinny part of highway 4 and the start of the two trails and the Hermit Valley Campground:
SlickRockMap.jpg

From the camp site turn off looking East:

DV08_0459.jpg

Hey guys - I won't be able to make the Con Portion of this run. i have to move out by the end of July and won't have time to A: Get my Rig Ready and B: I won't have the $$$ in case I break something.

Billy,
If I can go (which) I more than likely can - I will gladly bring up a BBQ and get all of the food for Dinner on Saturday Night. I will also lead on Saturday as well if you want me to.

Lemme know,
Mark

Hey guys - I won't be able to make the Con Portion of this run. i have to move out by the end of July and won't have time to A: Get my Rig Ready and B: I won't have the $$$ in case I break something.

Billy,
If I can go (which) I more than likely can - I will gladly bring up a BBQ and get all of the food for Dinner on Saturday Night. I will also lead on Saturday as well if you want me to.

Lemme know,
Mark

Hey Mark!

I don't want to put the whole burden on you, but I REALLY appreciate the offer to help! I could definitely use it. I'll keep in contact!

Thanks again!
Billy

Sounds great guys, thanks for doing it. I'll help where I can.

I'm in for all three runs.

Let's gather names for meeting at the Hwy 50/Placerville McD's Friday morning (8/12/11) and a time for the Strawberry Pass run. What say, leave McD's at 9 for arrival on the trail head by 10?

Last edited:
I will have to see if Im ready as the time draws more near but this trip definitely sounds good to me

(yes of course I will be red by then)

QUOTE=Hoooper;245351672](yes of course I will be red by then)[/QUOTE]

We thank you.

So it looks like i am in for this run & out for the con. I will plan on meeting you guys
in South Lake Tahoe in the morning to head to Deer Valley...

So it looks like i am in for this run & out for the con. I will plan on meeting you guys
in South Lake Tahoe in the morning to head to Deer Valley...

Same goes for me, I would love to do the CON but I cant because of work. I think we will hit the con later in the fall...

I did the Tahoe end of the Rubicon this weekend. We were the 1st in from the East this season. Got as far as about the road to Blackwood. 10' of snow most places, no prob there but wherever water ran there was an 8' dropoff and an 8' bank to climb on the other side & there was running water everywhere.

Last edited:
I am in for deer valley also!!!

I think I might be up for all but the 'Con as well. I'm definitely up for strawberry pass again. That trail was sweet last year.

Yo!!!!!

So I am definitely up for DV this year. I am working on finding someone with a truck to haul up my BBQ. What should we have for dinner? Burgers, Dogs & Chicken?

Cannot wait!!!! This might be my first trip of the year so I plan on getting up there as early as I can (maybe Thrusday Night).

Yo!!!!!

So I am definitely up for DV this year. I am working on finding someone with a truck to haul up my BBQ. What should we have for dinner? Burgers, Dogs & Chicken?

Cannot wait!!!! This might be my first trip of the year so I plan on getting up there as early as I can (maybe Thrusday Night).

Mark, Vet & i will be up there on Thrusday afternoon so if you need help
setting up we are down.

Back