• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pulled off cylinder head, have a couple questions

blazinjames

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i am disasembling my first jeep engine. Its a 93 4.0L i was told headgasket blew.

I pulled the head off today, there was no noticable damage to the gasket, and no coolant mixed iwth the oil.

it does look like two of the water jackets have closed up, i tried chipping it a bit away with a swcrew driver but nothing happened and I didnt want to hit too hard. ther was coolant pooled in them

is that a normal thing?

So you found coolant leaking from the head at the front of the motor? Are you 100% sure it wasn't the thermostat housing or the water pump or one of the hoses? Can you post up a picture of the area of the head where you think it's clogged? Did you run a compression or leak down test on it first? Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions but they are all very important in helping you out?

Last edited:
robsjeepxj is right...

I realize it's too late now but this is why it's a good idea to do a simple coolant system pressure test when you have or suspect a coolant leak. Also, (a bit more involved), a compression test would have been a good idea. Could have been a cracked head as well.

You should post up a pic of the suspected blocked coolant passage you mentioned.

With the suspected issues your talking about I would definitely send the head out to looked at before you put it back on, not finding a crack now could be a huge mistake later. I personally would drop the oil pan too and check the crank and rod bearings too (plasti-gage them all and visually inspect them for grooves or pitting). Coolant can and will destroy the bearings.

Last edited:
im just cutting my loses. i got the car for free. i thought i make a quick buck throwing a headgasket on. but its not worth the time or extra money to get it running. i can get what ive put into it so far from the wrecker

I'd rather take the head to a machinist, pay some money, and get a clean bill of health, than put it all together and find out there's still issues--waste of time and money. Anyhow, sounds like you were gonna flip it and the way it looks, they'd get the variables you've added to the mix(so cutting your and the future owner's losses is a good idea). I've bought, fixed, and sold some Jeeps and it's averaged anywhere between $30-50 an hour for my time invested. One of them did need a head gasket, head shaved, valve job, and rings(~$400 for parts, fluids, and machine work, but that $250 XJ turned into a $1600 XJ in two weeks).

Back