• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about building long arms

brad3xx

NAXJA Forum User
Im planning to build a set of long arms for my xj similar to the rcx, and tnt long arms. Im building the lowers out of 2" DOM with 2.5" JJ on the frame side and rubber bushings on the axle side. I noticed that t&t, RCX, and rustys use smaller 2" wide joints on there upper arms where it attached to the lower arm. Can I use 2.5" johnny joints on the upper arm or will I run into any issues doing this? Also any pics of your homemade longarms would be great. Thanks

The reason the bolt on kits use the 2" joints are cost savings and packaging. A 2 5/8" joint would be fine if you can fit it. What are your plans for the cross member side?

That being said, I wouldn't waste the time building a set of radius arms. [opens can of worms]

Im running the 2 5/8 jj at the crossmember. If i run a 2 5/8" JJ on the upper arm, will I have any trouble making tabs to bolt it to the lower arm( since the lower arm tube diameter is only 2"?)

Most use 2" bushings because they use their std upper control arms for the upper link,installing JJ's on the upper is not only a waste of money but it could cause issues, just use oem rubber!

Im fine with running oem rubber on the uppers, but I was under the impression that using oem or poly would be more likely to cause binding and the bushing would not last long

you need rubber or poly on a radius arm to compensate for binding

luckily the dana30 already has a couple for the uppers. and i have seen them built with just those.

but many also throw some oem style bushings on the lowers as well.

there isnt really an aftermarket bushing i have used reliably

you need rubber or poly on a radius arm to compensate for binding

This for sure. Radius arm long arm kits are a bad idea. Why not just make a 3 link long arm kit? Its only 1 more body mount and its not much harder to make. I will be doing this to my XJ along with frame stiffeners this off season.

So I ain't smart by any means but if you use a 2" round stock you would think you would use a 2" bushing.Why would you want to angle your bracket…think flush level mount compared to a "V" if using a 2.5"... My $.02

Jack

Back