• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Part# for front axle U-joint Snap ring 5-760x

96XJ9705

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to find a snap ring to go all around the 5-760x u-joint and had no luck with the local parts houses. Is there anyone who has found an online source for these and has a part number?
Thanks!

I have had excellent results from a 30mm circle clip. They've been the proper thickness to match the Spicer clips. The standard clips I've seen were too thin and allowed the joint to walk. Can get them from Fastenal or a local hardware store. Measure the thickness so you're sure.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

I found some at Mcmaster that were for the shaft size, just about .005" thinner than the spicer clips hopefully these will work. Otherwise I'll have to order the other ones.

If you're going to run that, make sure to get some arbor shims to put inside the bearing caps to take up the space on your next set of joints. BTDT... ;)

While on the subject, are the full circle clips better than the C clips? I recently swapped out a U-joint and it came with both style clips, I used the full circle thinking they would be much stronger and easier to install/remove. A friend says he only uses the C clips and never the full circle...

If you're going to run that, make sure to get some arbor shims to put inside the bearing caps to take up the space on your next set of joints. BTDT... ;)

Are you talking about the clips for the 30mm shaft or the ones from grainger?

While on the subject, are the full circle clips better than the C clips? I recently swapped out a U-joint and it came with both style clips, I used the full circle thinking they would be much stronger and easier to install/remove. A friend says he only uses the C clips and never the full circle...

Full circle is better because the can't come out. When the caps start to rotate they will move the c clip to the edge and push it out then your caps come out, u joint explodes, ball joint seperates.....use full circle

Ok, I've ordered both the ones for the 30mm shaft that are about .009" thicker and the english ones cited above. I'll see how they are when they show up. The Mcmaster # 97633A330 seem like they should be as thick as the ones that come with the u-joint. I'll know on Tuesday how they work.

I ended up using the McMaster #97633A330 snap rings for the 30mm shaft and had to remove a little material from the ears to get a good fit (about 0.010"). So far they work well and the tires don't squeal around corners any more. I'll try them on the trail next weekend and see how they hold up.

Thanks again for the help.

Back