• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fixed some things...click, click, click

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I removed my gauge cluster to fix the speedo on my 88 MJ, fixed the speedo, removed a CB antenna adapter and plugged the regular antenna into the regular AM/FM cassette.

Added some small burned out bulbs (backlighting) for the HVAC panel, removed the cig. lighter to get at the radio, reinstalled the radio, clock, cig lighter (BTW, cig lighter works fine).

I started the MJ a couple of times to try out the radio, started fine, radio still no work, lights up, but no display or sound. Like I said, it started fine.

After reinstalling everything I went to start it to see how speedo repair went...and got all the lights dimming and click, click, click from the starter, then nothing. I swore bitterly.

I threw the battery on a charger, cleaned up all the terminal connections, the ground from block to firewall is NEW 4 ga wire, not a strap. On the charger at 10A for ~~4-5 hours, get in, all lights light up, buzzer, everything on. Click, click, click.

Checked connection at starter, tight, dipstick ground, clean and tight. Gave the starter a tap or two, put the charger on 50A. Click, click, click, then nothing, no lights, nada!!!
WTF'nF :huh???:

Check the fuse links and the starter relay close to battery. It is a little 2" x1" x1" box with a 1/4" copper post, hot from the battery, about 5 other wires on the post that have fuse links in the wire, and about 4 more push connector posts, one of which is the starter relay IIRC that runs to the starter. Sounds like the starter may be bad, or the starter solenoid, but also sounds like the battery may be on its last legs. Lastly, the ignition switch way down under the dash, on top of the column may be bad.

Take the battery in for load testing, use a meter to check the fuse links, and maybe pull the starter and get it tested with the battery a local parts store.

But my first bet would be the battery is toast from what you posted!

I did check the starter relay per the FSM. The DMM was the life saver here. I was getting current at the relay, the battery, the terminals. I was getting only about 3.5 VDC at the starter itself so....

I removed the battery to starter cable at both ends. The center part of the cable was so corroded it just about fell apart in my hands. I knew the ground cable was brand new...I just didn't replace the positive cable...so the 22 year old cable was the culprit. Problem solvede

Its nice to see someone actually troubleshoot instead of just throwing parts at it.

Thanks...but I'm both obsessive and cheap!! I priced out a starter AND a battery and said "I ain't gonna let the bastards get me", I spent $5.50 on a new cable.

:eek:

:clap:

Back