• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 apn header install

tsill

NAXJA Forum User
Am trying to install this on my 2000 and everything was going well. Had to flatten the #6 exhaust pipe on the top side to clear the intake manifold and also ground the intake down a little bit as well on the bottom side of the #6 runner. Bolted everything up and for whatever reason the #2 exhaust flange will not pull tight to the head/gasket. I did not use the gasket that came with the header and the new felpro that I got was all metal, nice quality but thinner. Could that be my problem? I'm wondering if I could use some washers under the bolt head and on top of the belleville washer to see if I could pull it up tighter.

it looks to me like the flange is welded crooked on the number 2. i didn't put a straight edge on it before i installed it. hoping it holds. i can stick a .0015 gauge about halfway into the flange and then it hits metal.

i'm doing all kinds of stuff to this jeep right now and nothing is working out. 150+shipping. am i the only one who has to take this thing to an exhaust shop to get connected? there is no way this would have kicked out in the same place as my old downpipe.

I just did the APN on my 1998 without issue (not quite the same as 99+ due to grinding required on upper years). I used the gasket that the APN came with and didn't have any issues. I torque the hell out of the bolts, higher than the 25 ft-lbs that the FSM called for.

...... am i the only one who has to take this thing to an exhaust shop to get connected? there is no way this would have kicked out in the same place as my old downpipe.

Since the APN manifold from www.ineedparts.com is not designed for the 2000-01 4.0L 0331 head, I wouldn't expect it to connect to the stock exhaust.

From APN:

If your year, make & model is not listed below, do NOT order. It will NOT fit “other” 4.0L Jeep applications.

1991-1999 Jeep Cherokee
1991-1999 Jeep Wrangler
1991-1999 Jeep Wagoneer
1991-1992 Jeep Comanche
1993-1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I have installed an APN in a 98 and in a 99 and had no fitment or leakage issues. The APN has a Limited Lifetime Warranty so if there is a problem, you just return it for another.

Last edited:
i knew i was going to have it towed to an exhaust shop anyway. best one around me is around 15 miles and dont think i want to drive it that far on a header. Done it before but not sure if i want to this time. Wondering if they will take it back after I flattened the #6 out a little. I realize it was not meant for my year but it i'm thinking the flange should have been welded correctly regardless.

Back