• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad I bought a Duralast battery

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Well, the day I got my XJ the battery conveniently died (really shady dealership - truck had frame damage too but that's another story) so I just went with a Duralast Gold yellow top conventional battery.

Yesterday, my XJ had progressively more and more trouble starting, and by the time I had to have someone jump start me I decided to go by AutoZone and replace the battery.

It turns out the battery was fully covered by their warranty - no prorating, nothing. They covered the whole thing.

Given that I was ready to shell out ~$100 or so for a new battery, I asked if they could apply that as credit toward the purchase of a higher-end battery. So, $100 and some change later, I'm now the proud owner of an Optima yellow top D34/78.

In any case, I just wanted to throw out a friendly +1 for AutoZone, given how rarely they make me this happy. If you've got a Duralast that craps out on you, keep this in mind when you go to replace it.

I did a lot of research on a battery for my dad's F-150. From what I found, almost all of the lead-acid batteries out there are made by Johnson Controls and the only real difference between them is the warranty, and Autozone was the longest at 3-year free/8-year pro-rated. That's also longer than the dry-cell and gel batteries.

I have been running one of their cheapo Duralast batteries in my Jeep for a few years (NOT the top-end battery but the cheapest I could find on Xmas Eve) and it's held up fine. So my experience is that all of the wet-cell stuff is all pretty much the same and you really want to focus on being able to get a replacement quickly and easily,

A tip I've learned over the years. When you replace a battery, do an inspection of the alternator before installing the new battery.

Good deal on the Optima though.

Fortunately, the alternator is doing great - once started, the car ran like a champ. I even jump-started my back-up car (the ol' Camry wagon) off of my jump-started XJ on my way to AutoZone (to move the Camry into the driveway to get it on a trickle charger, since I haven't driven it in months).

It is showing slightly less than 14V on the dash gauge while running, though - I need to check it with a multimeter sometime today.

For what it's worth, my circa-2005 Duralast Gold bit the dust after I left the interior lights on for a couple days in January. AutoZone charged me something on the order of $34 for the Optima D34.

Can't say that the situation could've turned out any better.

When your battery craps out at 1am, Wal-Mart is the only place open. I needed to get home, I tried to jump start but some plates must of welded together so it wouldn't jump. Knock on wood, so far, so good. I rarely buy fancy batteries.

Nice they let you upgrade, that is definitely a plus.

Autozone lifetime replacements are great! They come in handy all the time.

Yes, because you are replacing the items for the lifetime of them since they suck. They are nice every once and a while, but I've had enough of replacing them that I'd rather shell out a few more money the first time then have to lose my time later on having to replace them constantly.

Nice they let you upgrade, that is definitely a plus.

Yes, because you are replacing the items for the lifetime of them since they suck. They are nice every once and a while, but I've had enough of replacing them that I'd rather shell out a few more money the first time then have to lose my time later on having to replace them constantly.

most of us have more time than money mister deep pockets

Back