• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new member amc xj thoughts

amcjeep

NAXJA Forum User
hi all. my name is ryan, while i am a newbie here, i am not new to the car/truck scene, as i have been a GM dealer tech for 14 years, and i have owned/restored several GM vehicles, a 1972 bmw 2002 and a 1981 mk1 VW rabbit. anyway, hi all!!!

so i got a 1986 AMC cherokee 2.8l/command trac/ a904 lockup/190k miles for free with blown head gaskets on a 20k gm long block bored .040 over. damn near new motor (bad fan clutch).:smoker:

basically the least desirable of the xj's, but hey the price was right. anyway, it has a ton of charm.... and i am interested in one thing. i got it running no prob, it runs strong(as strong as it's gonna for a 2.8), but like all of them it spins at 3000? at 65mph... i looked at the axles, and the front dana tag is flakey rusted and i can't read it. where can i find a build sheet or tag that i can figure out what the axle ratio is at? other than axle numbers??(which i can't read) i think they are 3.55's, i was thinking of 3.07's and a 30 inch tires. and a 3.4l camaro block. i am trying to realize a decent amount of power/mpg ratio as right now its 20mpg at 55mph, 15 at 65mph, and not worth mentioning if i go faster....

i have a fully and correctly functioning es2e varajet(with new shaft bushings) 100% new cap/rotor/plugs/wires, o2 sensor, and although the air pump is removed, no codes, and it goes closed loop no prob. it actually runs as good as a tbi 2.8, it just kills my wallet to drive, i mean with gas like it is. i am used to my vw!!! so don't flame me, just give advice if you have it, also is there a viable overdrive tranny that works with the 3.4 besides the 700r4/np231 swap?

hasta thanks for any advice! i would gut it and put in a 4.0 aw4?, but i don't feel like a radiator support swap ...

Last edited:
These vehicles don't get great fuel mileage, period.

If you gear it up, there's a good chance your actual mileage will suffer as you will be laying into the throttle more and causing the power valve to open up with low vacuum.

A 4.0 swap isn't gonna net you any fuel economy either. Remember, it's a rolling brick with 4wd.

yeah. i have come to that realization.... v8 fuel mileage with 4 cylinder power. WOOHOO!

i think i'll leave the gears, but i am on the hunt for a s-10/camaro 3.4 block.

Back