• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FORD 8.8 ?s

BrokeBrewKnow

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys looking for an 8.8 for the heep I found one for under 500 complete with disc brakes. That price is the axle and the shipping to my door. Question hows the proce sound for that axle? Also what type of u joint do you use for this swap?
!BZvejDgBGk~$(KGrHgoH-EIEjlLl09!jBKoHvv6log~~_12.JPG

What is the donor vehicle? what spine axle? open diff or lsd?

You're in Western Mass. In a couple weeks hit me up and we'll pull one out of Sam's You-Pull-It in Worcester for a whopping $130. Your choice of 3.55s, 3.73s, or 4.10 gears. I've gotten pretty good at pulling em, takes me 2 hours or so now, less with help.

You can either use a 1330 to 1310 conversion U-joint or buy a 1310 size flange that fits the 8.8, it's Spicer part number 2-2-1379 and costs like 23 bucks on alljeep.com.

I'm with Kastein on this one. Find one in a pull a part for much less. Sounds like the $130 range is going rate in MA. In Tennessee, I pulled mine for $90.

That one you pictured still needs to be converted for an XJ....spring over, re-run brake lines, and new shock mounts. Also, the one in the photo doesn't have the bracket for the drive shaft (which Kastein alluded to). If you pull one from the PAP you can snag the driveshaft bracket also.

So, you get the $130 axle from the PAP, then spend another $100 or so for someone to set it up (if you aren't able), you are still well under the $500 that you were quoted.

Remember, if the one you pull isn't geared the same as your front, you will need to replace it as well. The Explorer axles are generally 3.73 or 4.10. Tag will tell you. If it shows 3L73 or 4L10 that is the gear ratio with the L indicating Limited Slip.

3.73Xgear ratioX31 SPLINE AXLESX59.5 inches hub to hubXThe centersection is offset to the passenger side.X28 inches fron center to Rh hub31.5 inches from center to LH hubXX All of our rear axles come with FRESHLY TURNED BRAKE ROTORS.

thats the description on that axle

wheres the place in worcesrer? i am def interested in saving some coin. as far as fabbing brackets and such i am still a beginner learning welding now at a local high school that offers night classes.

all the info helps me huge!

if u can get the driveshaft from the explorer also, you don't need to by an adapter. i use the one off of the 8.8 that i got and don't have any problems. explorers use 1310 joints also.

if u can get the driveshaft from the explorer also, you don't need to by an adapter. i use the one off of the 8.8 that i got and don't have any problems. explorers use 1310 joints also.

Sorry but... what? None of this makes sense. The driveshaft on an explorer is splined in the middle not at the yoke and they use 1330 joints not 1310.

OP - I collected all the parts I needed for approx 500. Axle for 130, new rotors and pads, 1310 flange I listed, zj ebrake cables (not sure they are long enough), new ubolts, steel plate for ubolt plates, new perches, a ruffstuff cover, the whole 9 yards. Shop around and you can find some pretty cheap parts. I've made a couple detailed posts on this, on my phone atm so I don't feel like retyping it all.

Crown automotive makes ebrake cables now for putting an 8.8 (or an 8.25 with zj discs) in an xj, if you want to be sure it will all fit that is your best bet probably.

Sorry but... what? None of this makes sense. The driveshaft on an explorer is splined in the middle not at the yoke and they use 1330 joints not 1310.

OP - I collected all the parts I needed for approx 500. Axle for 130, new rotors and pads, 1310 flange I listed, zj ebrake cables (not sure they are long enough), new ubolts, steel plate for ubolt plates, new perches, a ruffstuff cover, the whole 9 yards. Shop around and you can find some pretty cheap parts. I've made a couple detailed posts on this, on my phone atm so I don't feel like retyping it all.

Crown automotive makes ebrake cables now for putting an 8.8 (or an 8.25 with zj discs) in an xj, if you want to be sure it will all fit that is your best bet probably.

kastein thanks for all this info exactly what i was looking for

3.73Xgear ratioX31 SPLINE AXLESX59.5 inches hub to hub
That would most likely make it out of a late 90s ford explorer, and good chances it's got a limited slip diff in it, most of them do. I'm with the other guys though, pull it yourself and save tons of money, they're almost as common at the yards as XJs. I got mine on half price day at pick-a-part for 75 bucks :D

I searched for those and couldnt locate them on the site.... have any #'s on them ?

the adapter that bolts onto the flange of the 8.8. you take it off the explorer drive shaft, and put it on the cherokee drive shaft. i pulled my 8.8 out of a 91 explorer and the flange connected to my stock drive shaft. i believe the older models used a 1310 joint.

I searched for those and couldnt locate them on the site.... have any #'s on them ?

The # on my invoice when I got the is DBC05. They're relatively new, I dont know if they're listed or whatnot, give Jeff a call at 781-821-2276.

(Thats for 96 and older, both sides are equal length.)

the adapter that bolts onto the flange of the 8.8. you take it off the explorer drive shaft, and put it on the cherokee drive shaft. i pulled my 8.8 out of a 91 explorer and the flange connected to my stock drive shaft. i believe the older models used a 1310 joint.

That makes a bit more sense, I'll have to check on my next run to the yard. I have heard 3 or 4 rumors of a 1310 8.8 flange on various ford vehicles with none being correct so far, so it will be awesome if this one is right.

yeah. i believe the earlier models with out disk brakes had the 1310 flange. i picked up 2 when i was a the JY so i could have one on my spare shaft to make changing easier.

There are several in the area, i live in springfield and have pulled 2 in the past few weeks. Center Auto Parts in Chicopee has a 4.10 geared 8.8 and the charge 250 for an axle pulled. Or you could go to sam's in worcester and pull your own for under 150.

There is sams pull a part in worcester (I know they have a lot of explorers) and eastern vehicle recycling in westfield. I am planning a run to EVR in the near future but have never been there and don't know what they have for stock.

Back