• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTB gear work on 8.25

xjcase

NAXJA Forum User
Getting pretty bad humming when on gas from the rear diff, also there is quite a bit of play at the yoke, maybe 1/8th of a turn...

I have an ARB back there as well, and it spits gear oil out the solenoid when disengaged.

High Country told me that it was likely not enough preload on the carrier which was allowing fluid to get in the line.

They ALSO told me that I would be in at about $500 or so if they could rebuild without new gears, and $700 plus if new gears were needed.

So... if anyone would be available to help me either a.) rebuild it, do what needs to be done, etc, or b.) point me in the direction of somewhere that would be able to perform this service at a cheaper rate, I would also appreciate it.

I'm in South Denver, but can drive/tow the jeep anywhere to get this done, but would prefer not having to pull the axle.

Sparknotes:
*noticeable humming from rear diff when on gas
*no noise when off gas
*lots of play at yoke
*arb engages properly but spits oil when disengaged
*don't want to pay HCP4x4 $500+ to fix it

Let me know if you can help - Thanks.

Aftermarket - Ruffstuff
Using Valvoline synthetic 75w-140 w/ limited slip
No recent work on rear end
100% sure rear locker is engaging - sometimes sticks after disengaged
Yes - however it's not something I strive to see again soon

between 1.5-2 quarts, just below the fill plug...

I'm thinking that oil is not the only issue present, but I will swap to 90w without a friction modifier. Just looked and the oil is pretty milky... however it was changed less than 6k miles ago...

IMG_20101003_144746.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm....

Sure sounds like too much oil in the diff.

IIRC,
Ruffstuff says add an extra 1/2qt of gear oil.
Send Dan at Ruffstuff an email to confirm (http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/contact_us.php).

1/8" inch of rotation isn't as bad as some would think.

Your pinion bearings might be toast if there was/is water in the axle, but I'd invest in some cheap oil before spending any money on having someone crack the case and start yanking parts.

Still WTB some help on this.

Changed the oil out with some non-friction modified heavy stuff and it hums less, but still hums.

Also, the oil that came out was nasty - very milky. I haven't had the rear end underwater, don't know why the oil would be like that.

I am thinking this is a much larger issue now which sucks but what can ya do. sh*t breaks

josh(stang) have time to look at it? he is good with axles.

was the slop in the gears pretty bad once you had it torn apart and could see?

Might be time to look at the how water is getting into the diff.

Something to keep in mind is that all compressors are going to compress air and whatever is in the air along with it. You'll see the result anytime you drain the tank on a shop air compressor....Water, and sometimes there's quite a bit of it.
totally didnt even think about it like that. very good possibility, especially considering the amount of fog/rain/snow/other moisture we have had lately....

Back